Specialty Certifications Based On Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UNDR H2O

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive a full-face mask through my organization. We have an extensive training program that requires in water training and a manual. My DSO isn't a full-face instructor so I can't get a cert through him. Is there an agency where my experience and training would be sufficient for a certification? Not trying to skirt the rules or anything, just trying to get credit for my 200 dives with a full-face mask.

You have me curious and I am just asking for interest sake.

More often than not, the "certification" is just the end product of the education. Often there is a practical reason for having the certification itself.

If you already have the experience, why the "want" for the certification?

I have an opportunity with another organization that requires the certification. Just hoping for the proverbial "2 birds, 1 stone"!

I don't know of any way to do that with any agency unless the instructor is certified to teach that specialty. Is your DSO an instructor? Why does he not just get the credential to teach FFM?

I've asked him before. It's just not a priority with him. I had another instructor looking into it, but never followed up with me after several emails.

Or as they say, it's the instructor, not the agency. I wouldn't expect you would get a break on the price, so you might as well practice your training in a class.

Bob

In the standards of some courses there is some wiggle room in the instruction part of the program where if you have the experience the instructor verifies you know what you should know and you do the dives so there may be a compression of class time. Especially if the instructor has dove with you or observed you diving a number of times already

I've asked him before. It's just not a priority with him. I had another instructor looking into it, but never followed up with me after several emails.
Maybe if you'd pay his certification costs.....that way he has something to sell, with no effort. Probably about the same cost as going somewhere else and paying for the class, plus you've already done the dives and bookwork.

most agencies have a provision for an "administrative upgrade". Most shops/instructors don't like doing these as they don't get to charge you for a class. You could try contacting the customer service number for your agency and asking.

I'm not aware of any agency that will offer a certification based on experience - the standards for certification are there for a number of reasons - yes, of course, there is the financial incentive for the dive centre and instructor - but also the legal implications of certifying a diver. The standards are set and they must be adhered to prior to certification (and let's not get into the typical agency-bashing session here!!) It may well be that you are an expert FFM diver and - as you state - not trying to skirt the rules, but as instructors, we really can't make exceptions; if you should have an accident and the authorities determine that the instructor did not follow the standards, this is very bad, regardless of what training you may have had before. It's something I've encountered quite a lot over the years and there's this situation where, as an instructor, you have to teach somebody who's more experienced in something than you are!

Having said that - you are only required to meet the standards for certification - which usually involves demonstrating some knowledge of theory and some practical skills, then perhaps you can agree with an instructor to do a short form of the course and therefore save you time and money. A few probing questions from the instructor should suffice and then a pool session or whatever is required (I'm not a FFM instructor) for certification. All boxes ticked, certification issued. I also have to add that I am not advocating short-form training in all but the most exceptional circumstances.

Hope that helps a bit - let us know how you get on.

Cheers

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom