Specific Liveaboard luggage suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shocked

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

My wife and I are going on the T&C Aggressor in a few weeks and I want to get some new luggage. My wife and I typically pack pretty heavy so we have large travel bags. Do you guys have some suggestions for brand/model of bags to travel with? Our scuba equipment (bc's, fins, wetsuits) typically go in one bag and then our personal items in another one or two, we always carry on our computers so I am not worried about them. I am a little concerned about putting our bc's in a soft "duffel" style bag.. the airlines seem to be able to break things through a hard shell.. so I can't imagine what they will do things in a duffel.

Thank you for any suggestions.

On an Aggressor style liveaboard you do not need to be as concerned about bringing too much luggage. They will allow you to unpack what you want and they can usually store your suitcases somewhere until the end of the trip. I have never had an issue packing my bc and fins into a soft sided duffel back. Most "Scuba" style luggage like the popular Akona bags have a hard back but soft sides and front. With airlines so uptight about a weight, it is hard to beat an large duffel with straps inside to secure your stuff. Just be smart about how you pack, if you have something like a mask case that could crack wrap it inside your wetsuit.

I would not worry about soft duffles. We have used them for 20 years with no issues. BCDs are tougher than most luggage. Soft luggage can be stored in your room, hard sides will be stored elsewhere.

With the every decreasing luggage weight limits, lightweight luggage is best.

If this is your first live aboard, then once you have packed all of your clothes, take 80% and leave them behind. 3 swim suits, 2 pair of shorts and a handful of tshirts is all you need. No foot wear is required on board.

I, unfortunately, use cheap hard shell luggage as I find them very lightweight and it protects my gear/camera gear better than soft shell bags. However, be advised that liveaboards HATE rigid luggage as it is much harder to stow than soft bags. Contrary to popular belief, there really isn't as much storage on a boat as you might think. Use what you need to (I do), but know that the crew appreciates soft bags.

I have had good luck with the Eddie Bauer roller bags. I put the bulky gear and clothes in the big bag and regs mask and computers in the small bag. More than enough room for my gear and flattens nicely to slide in the cubby under the bottom bunk.

I use semi-soft luggage as well and wrap my BC up in my wetsuit as a little added protection.
that being said - never had an issue with gear being damaged.....

As one on the smelling end of your clothing choices, I recommend taking a couple more swimsuits and T shirts than recommended above. :) Immersing anything in the ocean multiple times doesn't improve its smell.

I use a soft roller bag with clothes and scuba gear, with clothing in waterproof vacuum bags. You can also use the carbon type lightweight luggage that is very light but retains its shape, for anything you particularly want to protect. Fill the bag because an empty bag still won't withstand a bunch of suitcases on it.

I have one similar to this. It's held up almost 10 years with 1 1/2 tear in one corner the only damage. Multiple flights per trip, 2-3 trips per year.

Mine also has a bigger side pocket that I can cram my XL fins into - they absorb any impacts on that side also. And provide some stiffness. Mine's a TravelPro also. Travelpro Maxlite 2 30" Rolling Duffel - eBags.com

Downside with mine is fully loaded it won't stand on end and will flip over backwards in airport check-in lines - but it doesn't have the little legs ^ does.

Hey, on a Liveaboard you don't need much more than your diving gear!!!!

Swim suits, shorts, t-shirts, sleeping attire, that's it. My wife and I are usually barefoot once on board or just wear our Chacos. Unless you're going to go somewhere before or after you don't need to bring much at all. My wife and I each use DiveCaddy II for our dive gear, and one small suitcase (22 inch carry on size) for both of us when it comes to liveaboard packing. We also each carry a small back pack for video and computer, reading devices. We take several showers a day, one after every dive, so you don't really get sweaty.

You will use much less than you would ever think.

Clothing needs are minimal. I always carry five swimsuits and immediately change into a dry one as soon as I get out of the wetsuit. Nothing ticks a boat crew and your fellow passengers off more than sitting on deck chairs in a wet suit. As soon as I change, the wet suit gets hung from the railings to dry. This also helps avoid that old "itchy butt" from sitting in a wet suit.

All other clothes are minimal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom