Speed boat thru the Diver Below buoys today!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IrishPaul

Registered
Reaction score
While diving in Lake Pleasant, AZ this morning, my wifes gear had a minor malfunction that caused me to abort our dive and return to shore.

While fixing the issue, some muppet drove into the diving area (there were at least 4 Diver Below Floats) in his boat, and over to his pals who were drinking at 9am on the shore.

Sine I didn't want to confront 10 drunken wankers I found the Sheriff and reported the issue. I left when he went to deal with the morons.

What really upset me is that the bastard drove right where we had surfaced. I am now actually very glad that we had to call the dive early, and I am not sure if I want to dove there again until the season dies off a bit.

Try rigging a detachable prop-fouler. That should get the message across for next season

Maybe small net with some floats, make a little perimeter around your flag?

supergaijin, do you mean the plastic drink bottles filled with water-triggered explosive material?
Calling in the LEOs rather than taking the law into his own hands was a better strategy, I think :wink:

I remember always having problems with debris getting caught it my friends boat intake.. Made it quite lake unpleasant.

I wouldn't go as far as explosives- might be a tad loud underwater..... but at least you'd know when to give each other a high-5 and put a notch on your weightbelt.

Wow you actually got a LEO to come out and confront the offender?
You must be living right!
Here in IN we could call them in, turn them in repeatedly to DNR and nothing happens.
It is bad enough we won't dive unless off a boat so we can fly the flag high, anchor in deeper water, and come up and down the anchor line.
We usually run a reel off the line so that we come back to the same spot.

This is a bad issue with the summer season just starting.
Hope it gets better for you out there.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Sounds like you did the right thing. Here, where I'm diving, there's no local police officers near by dive sites. I'm not even sure what I'd do in that case. I'd probably not try to confront 10 drunk guys, but I might just use the non-emergency line for the police station.

Dive buoys seem to confuse a lot of boaters. I've heard of some boaters slowly approach a buoy because they're curious as to what it is. I would think it's obvious, and if they're running a boat at that area, they should know the rules and regulations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom