Spend my money!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhoadc

Registered
Reaction score
Ok here is my situation. I need to get some exposure protection and a dive computer. I have about 300 to spend. As of now I have a 3mm wetsuit and a watch.

I was thinking since I live in MN my money would be best spent getting some exposure protection first and a computer later. I am a bit unsureof how to spend the money though. I know a dry suit is the best option but 300 is a bit lacking for a dry suit. I had been thinking about buying a used suit that needs seals and learning to replace them myself to save the money.

I had also been thinking about a 7mm semi dry.

Would the 7mm semi-dry be warm enough? Water temps here are usually around 40-50 degrees if I recall.

What do you think I should do??

I dive a 7mm semi-dry in Washington, where water temps are ~45-55. The suit is warm enough for two dives in the summer. While I can do two dives in the winter, the second is usually called for cold and not for lack of gas. My biggest issue is getting out of a wet wetsuit when it's cold out. However, when you get out of a drysuit, you're wearing dry warm clothes. It rarely gets below 35 here, but I know it can get colder in MN, so I would consider saving for a drysuit (I am). You'll be more comfortable in the water and when doffing your suit. Ask around and see if you can get deals on a suit, I bet you could do it for $500 and you would be able to cheerfully dive through the winter.

On the other hand, if the extra money is extremely unlikely to come by in the coming months or you have some aversion to drysuits (and you've tried them, they're not that tricky) you might be better off with the semi-dry. Just be careful not to buy something you will want to replace soon - buy it right or buy it twice.

A computer is handy, but tables are free. You're unlikely to see much of a benefit (as a new diver) with a computer as you'll run out of gas before you hit your NDL. Plus, it's really nice to know tables like the back of your hand before you start handing over responsibility to a piece of silicon. I would recommend an exposure suit or just spending the money on renting and diving.

Save for a dry suit. I've heard good things about Bare drysuits being affordable and recommended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom