SPG or AI, Who’s Right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hombre
We all began some where with a names attached to the activity...And those who participated in the activity ...

Late model tube sucker bubble blower is a SoCal colloquialism used by the mature experienced diver to identify those divers who have very little experience , minimum knowledge but have all the wrong answers.....etc

s

That is assuming the pressure gauge they are using is perfectly calibrated and accurate of course.
According to them their workbench is hooked up to a constant air supply with adjustment. And they have big gauges that have been calibrated.

The exploding SPG face dates back to the introduction of the American made Mar-Mac SPG in 1954.

The problem was solved with the introduction of the Sportsways SPG a few years later with its modern technology and manufacturing techniques.

Exploding SPG faces should be extremely rare in modern diving- but the practice of turning the face down or away from the diver should remain as a common practice.

Who don't some of you late model tube suckers ask your fuzzy faced instructors " Why the SPG face should be turned away when the air is turned on?" I suspect the answers will astound you.

SDM
In 40+ years, I've had 2 SPGs blow of the cover. Both times it did not happen until I was underwater and the internal presssure had time to build.

Both times it did not happen until I was underwater and the internal presssure had time to build.

The internal pressure takes a fraction of a second to build- from the moment you open the tank valve it's as high as it's going to get. After you're underwater and time has passed, the internal pressure is LOWER than when you first opened the tank valve.

After you're underwater and time has passed, the internal pressure is LOWER than when you first opened the tank valve.

Not if you have a teeny tiny leak in the Bourdon Tube and no way for the build-up of pressure to escape.

Not if you have a teeny tiny leak in the Bourdon Tube and no way for the build-up of pressure to escape.

Thanks didn't know that.

Thanks scubaboard.
Always had a spg only until I bought a Perdix AI.

My spg showed 40 bars less then my perdix.
Emptied my tank at 1 meters depth and noticed my Perdix was right.
My spg is for **** and giggles only now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom