Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Console (with compass) clipped to my left waist d-ring, and a wrist compass. I bought the reg set used and that console is how it came, but I found I didn't like the compass on the console, so I bought the wrist-mounted one. So now I have redundant compass, redundant depth gauge (with my computer), and redundant time (with computer and separate watch).

I don't like a big console. I don't think the brand of SPG matters at all. In the interest of compact, I am currently diving a Cressi mini spg, which I like and can read fine, but I can see that might be an issue for some. Also keep compass on the wrist (with dive computer on the other).

no consoles for me.....SPG to high pressure hose only...nothing on wrist......computer and compass clipped on to BC.

How did you clip the compass to the BCD? Did you use a carabiner, bolt snap, retractor, etc?

My compass came with a split ring (key ring) attached to retractor with a bolt snap to clip it to D ring. It was too long with the bolt snap, so the key ring is now directly connected to D ring. I'm right handed, so it's on my right chest D ring m

I have used the 2" brass SPG clipped off to the left waist d-ring on my harness since 2003. I have my dive guage (Suunto D3) on my right wrist, a backup gauge (OMS) on a bungee on my left arm above the elbow (easier for me to see) and a compass (Suunto SK7) on a bungee on my left wrist. That set-up allows me to move the compass easily to my left glove if I really need to do some "serious" navigation, otherwise it's there for reference on my wrist.

The only negative is that it takes practice to clip/unclip the SPG from that location. After a while it becomes automatic.

If I were to attach the compass to the BCD, would something like a coil lanyard work or should I just have it on a bolt snap? I don't need to do any serious navigation. It's mostly for finding dive sites and heading back when shore diving.

I use that exact coil lanyard for my 11lb. video housing so it might be a little overkill for a compass.

Put it on a retractor instead - the larger ones will give you about 2' of line so good for getting it away from the metal that could affect it plus better for aiming. It's a Kevlar braided nylon line so really hard to break although I've never tried.

Cetacea sells them, your shop probably has a display. Or online. I have my 2 mini-gauge pod on a locking retractor to keep it from dragging. Locking might be a nice feature for a compass since it locks at any length. Like the above poster it's normally clipped to a lower left d-ring.

Cetacea Retractors

Last edited:
If you are doing serious underwater navigation you need to use an attack board. But very few people need to do serious underwater navigation other than people who get issued attack boards.

I just have my compas on my wrist. You could use either option you mention, in general you want to avoid connections you can't cut loose if you get wedged by them, but I think you'd be OK with either. But make sure your snap bolt is non-magnetic if you use that approach.

Generally putting stuff not in use into a pocket is better than having it hanging off your BCD. Ideally the pocket would have some sort of attachment you could clip the compass to with a snap bolt so it doesn't fall out if the pocket opens.

My 2" SPG w/ 1/4" HP hose setup, below. I clip the hose onto 2 rings along the right shoulder strap of the BCD (one of them in the OEM D ring, the other one is custom ring I sew it on the shoulder strap, above the OEM D ring, see the picture, below), attach the hose onto the rings with snap-on double C-rings (see the black figure 8 clips in the picture). Also I put snap-on magnet button (red & black) to keep the SPG from dangling around. When I want to read it, I just yank it off from the magnet. When I'm done with it, I just let it go. The SPG would automatically snaps back in place.

This SPG is actually a back up to my Suunto Cobra2 dive computer console that I put it in my left BCD pocket. Just in case it's battery dies while on the long dive trip, then I have the SPG as the back up pressure reading.

Occasionally I compare the SPG pressure reading with that of Cobra2. I found it to be low. I checked it with LDS tech. He said my SPG is indeed reading a bit low, but within 5% error in the low end (1000 psig instead of 1050 psig). The Cobra2 is right on the money.

I wear my primary dive computer, Suunto D4, on right wrist. Having the same brand (Suunto) is also good (the same diving algorithm). I used to have Scubapro SmartCom as my backup computer that drove me nut due to different diving algorithm.

2in Highland .JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom