Spiegel Grove uprighted by Hurricane Dennis !!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill51:
If it is more upright, I wonder how stable it is.
i was just gonna say that.
if it did move how stable is it.....
or better yet how stable was it before?
im still callin BS on this one

gpatton:
Hello

I have heard that the Spiegel Grove was uprighted by Hurricane Dennis !!??

In my estimation Key Largo had winds of 40 to 50 mph winds, I didn't think the winds were high enough to effect the offshore wrecks.

I going to dive the Spiegel asap! Can anyone verify that the Spiegel is upright?

The Spiegel will be a entirely new dive if this is true!

Glenn

I have had two dive shops state that the Spiegel was upright! I will dive the Spiegel in the morning and take pics!

I know, it just sounds incredible that a 6000 tons ship would move that much in 130 with probably 15 ft seas create by 40 to 50 mph winds.

Stay tuned, I will post pics tomorrow!!

Glenn

I'd be interested in seeing those pictures!

Does that mean the pictures I have posted will become collector items of the ship before it was upright?.......Nah......but it does mean I'll have to dive it again to update my gallery. :eyebrow:

Road trip from Canada coming up!

gpatton:
I have had two dive shops state that the Spiegel was upright! I will dive the Spiegel in the morning and take pics!

I know, it just sounds incredible that a 6000 tons ship would move that much in 130 with probably 15 ft seas create by 40 to 50 mph winds.

Stay tuned, I will post pics tomorrow!!

Glenn
NO! GO NOW!
stop wasting time
the time you waste reading this you could be packing gear drivibng to boat. motoring out to dive site...

anyway.
have a good dive tomorow.
look forward to the pics.

yeah, apparently there's been quite a few confirmations that the Grove is upright now

it only took a hurricane to undo man's screwup :wink:

She is upright

Supposedly, today the mooring buoys were all gone, and the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary divers found it sitting upright when they went to find the buoys.

Supposedly, the wreck is off limits to diving while new moorings are put in place.

LIT -- are you SURE that that wasn't you, practicing with your lift bags? :)

markfm:
LIT -- are you SURE that that wasn't you, practicing with your lift bags? :)

Nah, I would have shot it out of the water, and they wouldn't be able to find it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom