Spiegel Grove uprighted by Hurricane Dennis !!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Antares near Pensacola is 130 feet deep and it was ripped into three pieces by Opal. It is entirely possible and wouldn't it be a kicker if it is true.....

Mother Nature can do what she wants when she wants,

Lil' Irish Temper:
Nah, I would have shot it out of the water, and they wouldn't be able to find it. :D
I can see it now -- Rochester LED diver arrested for launching Spiegel. His only comment "Oh, Spiegel, I thought it was a Sputnik" :)

Its true – the Grove is upright and will soon be re-commissioned by the Navy. I also hear that the Duane is now beached off Long Island NY.

You guys need to check your gas mix!!!

fda483:
Its true – the Grove is upright and will soon be re-commissioned by the Navy. I also hear that the Duane is now beached off Long Island NY.

You guys need to check your gas mix!!!

Did you check the link that LIT posted?
http://www.spiegelgrove.com/

Yep - I dove the Grove last September between hurricanes with Ocean Divers – they are a good group but they don’t need to post stuff like that to get me to come back to dive Key Largo!!!!

But it would be fun to see if it was true!!

The Cayman Salver in Key West was uprighted several years ago by a hurricane. The Eagle wreck near Tavanier was ripped into two pieces by a hurricane. I have videos (now vintage) of the SG and I am having a hard time believing that this MUST be a hoax. I cannot wait to dive her. See you in August!!!

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/news/local/12109510.htm

Dennis fixes problem with largest ship sunk as artificial reef

Associated Press

KEY LARGO, Fla. - In the wake of Hurricane Dennis, a man-made mistake with the largest intentionally sunk ship in the world was found Monday to have been put right.

The former USS Spiegel Grove, now serving as artificial reef on the bottom in 130 feet of water off Key Largo, flipped upright as the core of the storm passed well over 200 miles to the west.

It's a position project organizers wanted since the retired 510-foot Landing Ship Dock prematurely sank and rolled over May 17, 2002, leaving its upside-down bow protruding from the water.

Three weeks later, a salvage team managed to fully sink the vessel, but on its right side instead of its keel. Three years later, the Spiegel Grove is the most popular artificial wreck in the Florida Keys, home at least 166 different fish species, said Lad Akins of the Reef Environmental Education Foundation.

"I'm flabbergasted," Rob Bleser, volunteer project director, said Monday afternoon after a dive on the newly oriented Spiegel Grove. "Nature took its course and put it where it belongs."

"This will mean a whole new dive for those that have dove it before," Bleser said. Its highest point is now 60 feet down.

Words of delight about the Spiegel Grove moved quickly through the Florida Keys' sport dive industry, but at least one federal official was not happy.

"It's bad news from my perspective as a resource manager that it moved," said Billy Causey, the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Superintendent. "We have to figure out why."

Matt Strahan, meteorologist in charge at the National Weather Service Office in Key West, said waves at the wreck were as high as 20 feet Friday afternoon, when Dennis was southeast of Cuba.

"Waves that high in close proximity to the reef can produce unusually strong currents with tremendous force," Strahan said.

The Spiegel Grove reef is about six miles off Key Largo. Bleser says there have been about 75,000 sport dives on the wreck since it opened.

The ship, designed to carry cargo and craft for amphibious landings, was retired by the Navy in 1989.

Holy crap, thats pretty amazing!

ok im starting to think it might be true i retract my BS but still would like to see pics,
and how stable is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom