Spiegel Grove??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redhatmama:
I have my doubts about the entire nicorete angle. There are millions of people chewing nicorete gum at work and they aren't having episodes from it. I mean, wouldn't the class action tort lawyers be all over it and advertising on TV for people harmed by nicorete?

Myself having a background in pharmacological research, it is important to remember that people can react differently to different medications. A drug deemed safe for the masses isn't necessarily harmelss to all. Not to mention the interactions that a drug might have when in the presence of other medications. Now add to that effects of pressure, and there is countless potental for side effects.

scubapolly:
Myself having a background in pharmacological research, it is important to remember that people can react differently to different medications. A drug deemed safe for the masses isn't necessarily harmelss to all. Not to mention the interactions that a drug might have when in the presence of other medications. Now add to that effects of pressure, and there is countless potental for side effects.

Pretty tough to drown sitting in yer cube at work. :)

Cant see it mentioned in this thread (it might be but its now huge!) but its impossible due to the depth that narcosis (possibly aggrevated by drugs) caused the initial panic attack and then when things started to go wrong, judgment was clouded and made it worse.

Tank banging, I never did a tanking banging LJ

Swim throuh, I never made it that far, we were all on the side and I was close to a ladder when I got vertigo

For all you wanna be doctors, you have to understand that at least 75% of divers are on a medication or multiples and then how many divers smoke or drink

Its real easy for all of you to blame my panic as medically related and not something else.

Some examples of panic are caused by faulty equipment, nitrox mix, visibility, coldness, depth, etc

But most of you divers are experts and know how to point the finger

String:
Cant see it mentioned in this thread (it might be but its now huge!) but itsimpossibledue to the depth that narcosis (possibly aggrevated by drugs) caused the initial panic attack and then when things started to go wrong, judgment was clouded and made it worse.

You did mean 'possible' right.

I think your exactly right. There is no doubt that narcosis played a role in this, however minor. Personally I think drugs were probaby at the root of the initial attack (N2, nicotine & Scop). Couple the drugs with a dependant personallity and then take away the safety net and you get instant panic attack.

LJ.. Thank you for the correction... 3 instructors 1 DM.... only one Inst. w/class

LJinFLA From below and three decks separation:
Again I hope you do understand I am not saying you had any fault. My statements were generalizations based on my own sentiments and approch to team thinking. Yours may differ drastically or somewhat. I do not believe that makes me 'right' or others 'wrong'. It is my opinion. With no emotion or judgements.

I'm a little embarrassed if I gave the impression that 'I know' what the instructor knew. I feel there are things that he 'should' have known.

My feeling is that Casemanager has alot of things to figure out about what went wrong. First why is it that he only feels comfortable when accompanied by an Instructor or DM? Second he needs to control his irrational fears and get a handle on his emotions. Apparently this is true 'in and out' of the water, his fear at depth is evidence of the need for this, as well as his fear of 'a shower' now. Third if he is going to use medications he needs to understand the side effects of them, or the potential side effects, and then extrapolate as to the potential risks these drugs may imply while diving. Or better yet talk to a diving doctor about them. I am probably missing some other very important issues but these are the ones that jump out at me right away.
Yes Casemanager really has alot of work ahead of him before he can answer the question 'should I ever dive again'. He then has some work to do to get himself to a point where he is mentally fit to deal with the rigors of diving in advanced environments if he still wishes to enter these areas. Can he make that commitment, I truly hope so!

since LJ is my buddy

Guess what, I have never had a history of panic attacks. I dont know where that came from, then theres another person who said i was taking 3 psychotropics, where did they make that one up.

This is kind of like a political election, lots of swinging and backstabbing.

This board makes me never want to put on a tank again because if you all represent the diving community, Id rather be playing golf

casemanager:
Tank banging, I never did a tanking banging LJ

Swim throuh, I never made it that far, we were all on the side and I was close to a ladder when I got vertigo

For all you wanna be doctors, you have to understand that at least 75% of divers are on a medication or multiples and then how many divers smoke or drink

Its real easy for all of you to blame my panic as medically related and not something else.

Some examples of panic are caused by faulty equipment, nitrox mix, visibility, coldness, depth, etc

But most of you divers are experts and know how to point the finger

Perhaps you would care to give us all your version of what took place leading up to the dive, any kind of stess that you may have been under before and leading up to the dive. It would be helpful to know what was going on in your mind before and after you got in the water. I'd be interested in hearing all that you think is important. Please don't take too much from these post's no one here knows you, we can't see your face when you write so we don't know truly how you feel, what your like, all we have to base thoughts and opinions on are what we read here. You candor in this matter would be most appreciated and though some of us may say something that offends or hurts... so what... you'll never probably meet any of us, and if you do we'll probably never know it! Your candor and honesty in this thread may help others to avoid this same situation, and who knows maybe we'll all learn a little something about ourselves and each other.
You've already exibited a great deal of courage in your initial and repeated posts. It takes balls to stick around through this. Don't quite now we still could get something out of it.

Waynne Fowler

casemanager:
This board makes me never want to put on a tank again because if you all represent the diving community, Id rather be playing golf

That makes the most sense out of everything you have typed. Do yourself, your family, and your dive buddies a favor and don't dive. Some people shouldn't dive and you are clearly one of them....just like I am not one who should ever skydive, bungee jump, BASE jump or anything else to do with heights.....I KNOW I would panic and not think clearly when I need to.

Seriously, sell your equipment tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom