Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my favorite dive in the Upper Keys.

Thunderbolt is my favorite in the middle keys

Adolphus Busch & Wilkes-Barre are my favorites in the lower Keys.

Robinhood,

"How can you say the Grove isn't interesting??"

Why is it that lately people want to put words in my mouth? I never said the Grove isn't interesting. I love diving the Grove. OTOH, it's more like diving a wall than a wreck. As interesting as the Grove is, the other three I mentioned are more interesting. I never get enough of the Eagle.

Jim,

I also enjoy the Thunderbolt and the Busch, but I haven't dived enough wrecks in those areas to really compare. The Wilkes-Barre is way too deep for most to visit.

You didn't say it wasn't interesting you said it was the least interesting of the four. Sorry, wasn't trying to put words in your mouth! I zeroed in on the 'least interesting' part. I agree, however, that it takes several dives to even get acquainted with the grove because its so freaking big! Obviously, because of this, there are advantages and disadvantages, but it sure is an awesome sight!!

The thing that hits you is its size. Everyone tell you it's big. You expect it to be big. You prepare yourself for it to be huge. When you dive it, it's bigger than you imagined. The size alone almost blows you away.

Entering the well deck is like entering an empty underwater warehouse. As life continues to encrust the ship, it will become more and more impressive.

Is there a back (front) way out of the well deck? I have yet to feel any current inside but am extremely careful not to go too deep without knowing for sure.

gpatton once bubbled...

Thanks for the compliment! You are welcome to link to my videos.

Cool! Thanks... Done. :)

I have been diving since 1967, almost 40 years.

Well, it definitely shows. :)

Thanks for letting me link.

Is there a lot of current on the Grove? How does one get to it? Guide line, swim down? I heard that there are guide lines through out the inside of the wreck. Just wondering, this would be the largest wreck I have ever hit, hopefully will log it this weekend.

RicanDiver:
Is there a lot of current on the Grove? How does one get to it? Guide line, swim down? I heard that there are guide lines through out the inside of the wreck. Just wondering, this would be the largest wreck I have ever hit, hopefully will log it this weekend.

I dove the Spiegel on Friday, Jan16, there was very little current, however the current change quickly and it can be very strong. So be very careful in regards to the current.

There are 8 mooring balls on the Spiegel Grove which you can use to swim down to the wreck. Sometime you have to rig a line from the back of the boat to the mooring ball so you can pull yourself to the down line. Once on the wreck the 50 ft+ the current deminishes or you can get in the lee.

There was Guide Line rigged when the ship was above water that makes a big "U" through the "02" deck which is 2 decks above the main deck. The path of the rope goes through the galley. Since the Spiegel is on it side the guide line would go toward the bow and then descend to about 100ft+ then go out toward the stern. I am not sure if the rope is still there. HOWEVER, I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE NOT PENATRATE THE SHIP! IT WOULD BE TOTALLY DARK INSIDE, DISOREINTING AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

The Spiegel Grove is an extremely interesting dive right now, because there is a tremendous amount of bait fish on the wreck...

here is my latest raw (basically unedited) video!
http://idi.bz/sg_lsd32/Jan_2004_UWvideo.htm

Glenn Patton

We're planning a trip to the Spiegel May 23 - 30th....since I need to buy a new wetsuit (I only have 7mm right now) any recommendations? 5mm 2 piece ok? I like the idea of a 2 piece.
Hopefully we'll be staying at the Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach resort - they run their own dive boats and rentals...anyone have an qualms about that or should we go with local LDS.

I would think that a 5mil would be plenty, the water should be warming up nicely by then. I have dove in the Middle Keys in February in a 3mil (w/3mil core warmer) and been fine, although my 5mil one piece was more comfortable over multiple dives.

Wish I was going, but I have to wait till August. :54:

starfish365:
We're planning a trip to the Spiegel May 23 - 30th....since I need to buy a new wetsuit (I only have 7mm right now) any recommendations? 5mm 2 piece ok? I like the idea of a 2 piece.
Hopefully we'll be staying at the Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach resort - they run their own dive boats and rentals...anyone have an qualms about that or should we go with local LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom