Spinal fusion/instrumentation question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowprintrabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My spine is now fused T5-L3, with titanium rods and screws holding it; they are permanent. Being so close to my spinal cord, do I need to worry about bubbles collecting on the metal? I keep thinking of what happens when you put a spoon in a glass of 7-up. I should be healed enough to dive by August 2006.

I hope you are doing okay, I know that is a tough procedure.

I can't offer any advice on how the fusion will affect your ability to dive. But I would like to know more about what precipitated the fusion and how it is working out. I have a couple of degenerating disks...so I am interested in knowing more about your experience.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hey Girlfriend, hope you are up and about more and Hubby is up for some major papmering, on your behalf!!

Hugs,
Lisa

justleesa:
Hey Girlfriend, hope you are up and about more and Hubby is up for some major papmering, on your behalf!!

Hugs,
Lisa

Thanks! DH is being really sweet - and I keep trying to do more than I'm supposed to :)

realized I never posted what I found out - BAD Christine!

I was correct about the spoon in a glass of Seven-UP theory. According to the dive doc I saw, IF I ever get bent, it will show up in my spine first. But it makes me no more likely to get bent than the next idiot :)

Jeff - it was scoliosis, and I'm happy to say I am all healed and better than ever!

Hi Christine:

Actually, the screws are in the bone of the spinal cord. Bubble formation would need to be in the nerves of the cord for DCS to occur. There is thus no need to worry.

Back
Top Bottom