Spinner Knife Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simmonsjr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering if anyone with a Spinner knife has had any issues with the sheath not securing the knife. I recently had mine snag and pull out of the sheath - cutting a finger to the bone in the process. I'm just curious to see if its a design issue or if I have a bad sheath. Thanks.

I was wondering if anyone with a Spinner knife has had any issues with the sheath not securing the knife. I recently had mine snag and pull out of the sheath - cutting a finger to the bone in the process. I'm just curious to see if its a design issue or if I have a bad sheath. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about the finger, hopefully it missed anything else important. It's just a friction lock sheath, there is no positive lock, so they can pop out at any time. I have had mine fall out a few times, my dive buddy has lost one of his knives. Pretty much every dive knife has a friction lock sheath, I can't think of any that don't. Oceanic could make the sheath out of a more rigid plastic so it doesn't pull out as easily, but then it would be harder to put it in too. So I'd call it a design/materials issue.

It was on the back of the finger so it missed the fun stuff, but it was right across the knuckle so the darn thing is going to take forever to heal up. Anyway, I guess that I'll have to play around with it and see if I can't come up with a more secure hold. Thanks for the reply.

Ive had a spinner now for about 3 years and never had any issues with it coming out.

What on earth where you doing that would cause the spinner to come out with enough force to deeply cut the top side of your hand. I mean if you drop a spinner in the water its so light that it doesn't exactly come down on a hand with force!

I have a loop of shock cord tied to the handle to create a lanyard. When I store the knife the loop hooks under the bottom of the sheath locking the knife in. When I take the knife out, I pull the knife out, then unhook the bungee and it is free.

So silly question but if the shock line is attached to the end of the knife and the shock line gets hung up on something and you can't get it unhung up how do you cut it free. Or is it thin shock line that breaks away when caught?

I lost mine helping another diver....it came right out...Nice design, but the locking mechanism is really bad....they made it very loose.....I would not buy again.

I have one.. the knife itself is nice but the retention system is pretty junk.

As others have said - the small screws are a failure point, and the knife itself isn't well-retained in the sheath. That said mine hasn't come out yet, but I think it will continue to loosen with time. I've only had it for about 5 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom