Spirit Airlines checked bag weight change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F106A

Contributor
Reaction score
NJ, GSP Exit 36 (24,000' from the Atlantic)
# of dives
500 - 999
Just noticed Ben reduced their weight limit from 50 to 40 pounds for a checked bag. It'll cost an extra $25 for a 41-50 pound bag. If it's 51-70 pounds the additional fee is $50. That's in addition to the "regular" baggage fees, $18-$28 for the first checked bag. Might be a good thing to be aware of.

And no more Zone One seating priority for Spirit "Big Front Seat" or Emergency Exit Row pax or Spirit MasterCard holders; seems that's reserved for the carry-on paid bag set, people who need extra time and families with small kids, IIRC.

YouTube - BATTLE BETWEEN TWO AIRLINES I - United and Spirit Airlines I didn't realize this was a parody for quite a while, probably due to being a regular Spirit customer; they're just 200 yards from me. (I really don't fly with other airlines enough!)

Last edited:
I just saw this in the newspaper.
Spirit Airlines: New checked bag rules eff. Feb. 1 – Travel – Sun-Sentinel

It really seems as if Spirit is intent on driving away customers. They brainstorm what would annoy people the most, then implement it. I've flown Spirit a lot from Ft. Lauderdale to Chicago and to the Caribbean, but trying to cram dive gear into a 40 lb weight limit is going to make them even less appealing. Jet Blue here I come!

JetBlue | Help)
Free Baggage Allowance
Each customer may bring one bag free of charge.
Each bag must NOT exceed 62 inches (157.48 centimeters) in overall dimensions (length + width + height) and CANNOT exceed 50 pounds (22.73 kilos).

I love Jet Blue, but am really apprehensive with Spirit. They charge for everything??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom