Split fin haters... please explain:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great question. I too would like to know. I eventually ended up with Apollo Bio-fins but recently purchased some slipstreams although I have not had a chance to use them since they are too tight (tried one dive). My biofins are my primary but I was told I could not use them for a GUE/DIR class. Was also looking for something a little lighter for travel.

I have used the splits in heavy current and was able to manage the current just as good and actually better than most in my group. I watched a video of a back-kick and see no reason why the same kick can't be just as effective with splits.

I dive with both splits and paddle fins. They require different kick styles. I suspect that the issue may be adapting kick style to fin type.

If you think the back kick can be effective with splits, try it.

The problem is the splits are too flexible. No torque, and you don't have as much control because they bounce all over the place.

I've always wondered about the "current" issue myself, because the splits do seem to generate a lot of raw thrust. But anyway for careful kicking, they're just useless.

Why do people act like split fins suck in current? I've used my Apollo bio fins in Cozumel several times in ripping current. I found this article from scuba toys and they seem to back up my line of thinking. I was just looking for some other opinions/ideas. :coffee:Split Fins in a Current, Bio Fin, biofin, Bio Fins and Tusa Split Fins

I could not agree more and a great read.

If you think the back kick can be effective with splits, try it.

The problem is the splits are too flexible. No torque, and you don't have as much control because they bounce all over the place.

I've always wondered about the "current" issue myself, because the splits do seem to generate a lot of raw thrust. But anyway for careful kicking, they're just useless.

Yes I can back kick in splits and if I had a nickle for every time I heard you can't, I would go on another scuba vacation.
PS: with my splits packed

I own 5 pairs for Apollo Bio fins and have done many dives under good, bad, and ugly conditions, including SCREAMING currents and my fins can easily meet or beat ANY other fin out there!

I found this article from scuba toys and they seem to back up my line of thinking...

Not sure if scuba toys would have a vested interest in providing a fair and unbiased article, that wasn't trying to promote a sale...

...just saying.

Looks like an 'Advertical' to me.

I don't have a personal opinion on split-fins, because I haven't used them. That said, they are promoted by some retailers/manufacturers as "the best thing ever", which always makes me suspicious. I think a lot of the anti-split fin 'education' has been created by a need to remedy over-boastful marketing. I've also heard some quite logical arguments from specific diving interest groups (cave, tek and wreck) that they have some serious disadvantages under those dive conditions.

If I had to believe/support either side of the debate, my instincts are to go with the user-group that best reflected my personal diving activities, rather than the marketeers.

I own 5 pairs for Apollo Bio fins and have done many dives under good, bad, and ugly conditions, including SCREAMING currents and my fins can easily meet or beat ANY other fin out there!

Did you actually trial every other competitive fin out there? If not, why would you make such a unequivocable point?

I admire your enthusiasm, but...

Yes I can back kick in splits and if I had a nickle for every time I heard you can't, I would go on another scuba vacation.
PS: with my splits packed

can you post a video of this? Ive heard the claim before but never seen it.

The design of split fins is that no matter how you move your leg it transfers the force into thrust aimed backwards. That's the whole point of the design. With the back kick, the part of the fin that's supposed to be pushing the water, is the part that flexes on a split fin.

So the split fun should work against the back kick.

Maybe it's still possible, but it has to be really inefficient and a lot harder.

You'd be a perfect person to include in my Fin Testing article ..in the South Florida Dive Journal....I will need some known scubaboard regulars that really love split fins, and think they are good in currents.. I will also be needing some good Force fin divers, and some freedive fin divers other than me, and some of my GUE buddies wearing jetfins.
PALM BEACH IS CALLING YOU !!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom