Split Fin Physics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok its really simple
split fins are nothing but paddle fins, just two small paddles on one fin and their pivot point is largely in-line with flow vice perpendicular to flow (aka long axis of your body). This directs much less flow to the rear of the diver, thus requiring a much high kick frequency to achieve the same result. The only benefit is that the diver will have proportionally less strain on their knees because they are moving much less water.

A proper split fin design using optimum materials and design parameters moves water efficiently, more propulsion with less effort, higher speeds if need be, no strain on the ankles or knee joints.

Last edited:
so now Bio-fins violate the law of conservation of energy.. wow that's pretty impressive

so now Bio-fins violate the law of conservation of energy.. wow that's pretty impressive

Everyone knows that the laws of marketing are more powerful than the laws of physics!

:d

A proper split fin design using optimum materials and design parameters moves water on both the up and down stroke, more propulsion with less effort, higher speeds if need be, no strain on the ankles or knee joints.

YouTube - APOLLO BIO-FIN [1/2]

The video looses all credibility when they show comparisons between paddles and splits in the way that they have. 2:30, 4:50.... seriously now, who kicks like that?:confused: maybe the pour kick style that the paddle user has is the reason the paddles preformed slower and less efficient...:idk: I understand that they want to prove a point but if the differences are as noticeable as they claim than they shouldn't need to exaggerate like they do:shakehead:

I watched the video, a not unexpected win for split fins over flippers. In the future, physics can be your friend too.

A proper split fin design using optimum materials and design parameters moves water on both the up and down stroke, more propulsion with less effort, higher speeds if need be, no strain on the ankles or knee joints.

YouTube - APOLLO BIO-FIN [1/2]

Dude - you have indeed abandoned any and all hope of credibility by posting such an asinine video. Seriously. To have a video that says "Independent Evaluation" which compares two Apollo employees - one wearing split fins, and one doing an impression of a mentally and physically challenged person who has no earthly idea how to swim - is patently absurd.

split1.jpg

split2.jpg

If your fins are actually superior to paddle fins, why do you need to stoop to such low-brow tactics? The Sham-Wow guy laughs at you!

Shamwow.jpg

:shakehead:

RJP;

I agree that the kick style of the paddle fin diver is very exaggerated. I used those Prestige paddle fins for years and although I used a wide scissor kick I never did the side roll or the huge kick that is shown in the video.

I posted the video mainly to show the bio-fin in action particularly on the shots from astern. It would of been far better just to show the bio-fin and forget about the mad kicker.

This was not an independent evaluation it was shot in Japan. There have been independent evaluations, SCUBALAB, Jim Grier, the Navy swimmers school, etc.

I respect your opinion, you are a good marketing guy.

The video looses all credibility when they show comparisons between paddles and splits in the way that they have. 2:30, 4:50.... seriously now, who kicks like that?:confused: maybe the pour kick style that the paddle user has is the reason the paddles preformed slower and less efficient...:idk: I understand that they want to prove a point but if the differences are as noticeable as they claim than they shouldn't need to exaggerate like they do:shakehead:

pjones:

I agree with you. The paddle fin diver is using our old Prestige paddle fin. It is a good fin design. Dive Rite purchased the molds and the Dive Rite fin is a very good paddle fin.

The exaggerated kick of the paddle fin diver does detract from the video. I just took it out of my post. What we should show is just the bio-fin in action. The fin is good enough to stand on its own and does not need to be compared to someone who quite obviously is using a kick style that no real diver would use.

SCUBALAB- has already been just as discredited as you for being independent/objective.

and the Navy does not endorse any product over another, period. Sure they may primarily use one product, but they don't use Apollo's, at least in the last 12 years that I spent in the Navy no one did. and unless something changes recently Bio-fins are still banned by the USCG due to their low thrust/distance per kick

Back
Top Bottom