split fins and dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
I can't speak for the official DIR reason, 'cuz I'm not sure of what it is, but...

Analog depth gauges are not particularly accurate
They don't log your dives
They don't keep time, so you'd need a watch anyhow, thus 2 gauges
You can easily put two bottom timers on your wrist, thus providing redundancy, and more information without adding bulkiness.

Soggy, I would add that in the DIR system, with your dive buddy diving the same plan as you, if your BT craps, your buddy's is still working. If your pressure gauge craps out, you will not have a backup gauge.

Mo2vation:
You need to do a bit more reading in the subject - but I get the sense from your post that you're not some hairy, wart-encrusted troll... so I'll dignify what appears to be an honest question with a civil response.

COMPUTERS - I have one. They don't take away your DIR decoder ring for diving with one. Its in gauge mode 99% of the time. At no time does my computer manage my dive. We are taught not to wholly depend on one - specifically, plan each dive before we hit the water, remain aware of our loading, gas supply and average depth throughout the dive, and manage situations accordingly. The altrernative being hop in, swim around a bit until the magic box goes BEEP, then come back. Not good.

SPLIT FINS - There is a precision we strive for with blade fins that is often (<- disclaimer for those of you who can be precise with splits... I never could) not achieved with split fins.

Don't hop right to the apparent "restrictions" and get hung up on the stuff you thing DIR divers do not (or "can not") use, equipment wise. I have found my diving to be much more enjoyable and liberating since I drank the koolaid - not more restrictive and oppressive.

Dive with us. Talk with us. Read the Fundies book. Don't formulate your opinions of DIR and DIR divers from this or any other internet forum exclusively.

K

I see also put disclaimers at the end of your posts also. LOL

Here is my standard disclaimer.

Disclaimer:
None of the above text was directed towards or intended to be sexist, discriminative, or belittling any person, place, or animal (or DIR). If you are offended by the above text, please do not read it. If you wish to comment about the above text because you have a feeling of disgust, dislike, or offended in any other way. Please take a number (we are currently at number 1,432,967) and wait patiently in line for your equal opportunity to voice your opinion. My complaint department will patiently listen and show actual concern about your feelings, thoughts and concerns. (Now serving number 756)

Curt Bowen, Advanced Diver Magazine, nor its employees, clients, or family relations take any responsibility for the above text. We plead the 5th on all subjects concerning any remarks that may have been written in the above text.

Curt Bowen:
I see also put disclaimers at the end of your posts also. LOL

Your call is important to us. Please continue to hold. Your call will be handled in the order recieved.

* click *

Its just silly. All of this DIR diver bashing, and you ask people have you ever dove wif one of us, and its usually "good gosh, no..." Too funny.

K

bubble blower:
anyone have any thoughts on this one. As an electronics tech I understand that moving parts in an analog device (be it a relay or a gauge) is subject to the laws of friction which in turn means wear and tear...that said, I can go into the computer/gauges and watches forum and find a butt load of posts from people whose computers have reset or malfunctioned, but there doesn't seem to be any posts on analog depth gauges crapping out. DIR divers use analog SPG's so I doubt that the friction part is the issue. Again, any thoughts as I know that removing unnecessary failure points is part of the DIR philosophy.
On a side note...am I the only diver that does not own a dive computer?

I wear a Citizen diving watch as backup. It displays (apart from the time ";-) the dive time, depth and maximum depth. Suits me fine as a backup.

jjsteffen:
Soggy, I would add that in the DIR system, with your dive buddy diving the same plan as you, if your BT craps, your buddy's is still working. If your pressure gauge craps out, you will not have a backup gauge.

Good point, though I don't really need the pressure gauge. If it craps out, dive over.

rushrhees:
I am relativly new to scuba and do not know much about DIR nor do I have anything against the method, but I am just curious about why DIR divers should not use or can't use split fins or dive computers.

I think that split fins are line entanglement hazards and wrist computers would give differant information than the deco softwear used to plan a dive. I beleave the use of a computer in gauge mode is better if you plan a dive useing softwear.

If you are diving dir w/o a computer and have planned your bottom time based on a pre-determined dive plan, what do you do if you want to deviate from your dive plan once on the dive? Do you have multiple dive plans in your pocket or do you simply not deviate from the plan?

For instance, you plan a dive no deeper than the deck on a wreck. Once on the deck, you see a something on the bottom some 20' deeper than your max depth dive plan where you want to dive down for 2 or 3 min. to investigate. Are you precluded from investigating the subject that caught your attention?

A computer doesn't penalize you for the multi level dive. What do dir divers do when faced with this issue?

Just go down and see it, and modify the play accordingly. If it's a recreational dive,it doesnt really make much difference. For more aggresive dives, we just modify the plan accordingly.

After all deco isn't an exact science, and you won't get massive explosive DCI if you deviate from the plan slightly.

rushrhees:
I am relativly new to scuba and do not know much about DIR nor do I have anything against the method, but I am just curious about why DIR divers should not use or can't use split fins or dive computers.
you shouldn,t mount your dive computer on the split fins,they just dont mix.

skipperbrown@yahoo.com:
If you are diving dir w/o a computer and have planned your bottom time based on a pre-determined dive plan, what do you do if you want to deviate from your dive plan once on the dive? Do you have multiple dive plans in your pocket or do you simply not deviate from the plan?

I usually cut multiple tables. Increased depth, increased time and both. Depending on how deep, I also cut using lost deco gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom