Split Fins or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just don't ask about spare air.

FWIW, I have a pair of Atomic smokes. They are positively buoyant and stiffer than other models. I can frog, helicopter and even manage (poorly) to back up.

My favorite fins however are my USD original blades. I injured myself skiing so the Atomics are kinder to me.

I too, loved the USD Blades, but my aging knees didn't.
I'm now using Scuba Pro Twin Jets-Black, which are also stiffer than some of the other twin jets -especially the grey ones.
I can get around nicely-flutter kick, modified frog,..and no knee pain!!
To the OP- try them, and use what you like..

Sounds good. The links are very helpful, and provide tons of information. I got a little defensive with my earlier post, without my morning coffee. :coffee:

Thanks for all the answers.

You guys appear to have knowledge of the answers, yet you don't reveal them. Not very helpful to just post animated .gifs. Just give me your opinions; I know you have them. If there's another thread that better answers my question, link it if you want (e.g., http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/40193-split-fins-frog-kick-no-problems.html, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fi...-frog-kick-backward-kick-helicopter-turn.html).

As well, you guys seem to be expecting a flame-war. There are plenty of ways to reveal your opinions without bashing the other side. Though I asked about differences between split fins and non-split fins (a strong topic), I asked very specific questions as to avoid a flame-war (e.g., are non-split fins really better at frog kick and back kick). Thanks for your very helpful answers :shakehead:.
Don't mind the .gifs or the non-responses. They are just ways of saying this question has been raised more times than most of us can count. There are opinions for and against every form of fin with, for the most part, no real answers. And, if there are such real answers (as some would argue), they are not believed by many. So (and this is just IMHO) it all comes down to what looks and feels nicer to you, what you elect to believe and what fits your wallet size. Others may argue that my oh so forceful opinion is wrong.

I also had the Atomic split fins. Really liked them. I fell for all the hype about power and air consumption, etc. But on one dive trip, a buddy let me try out his stiff fins. On that dive I had so much power that I swam in front of the group while achieving better air consumption. In comparison, the split fins required too much leg action to develop equal power which made me breathe harder.
The fins were the Mares Avanti Quattro Power (full foot). I purchased a pair and have never regretted the change. Recently made it upstream at Manta Channel at Komodo. Ony 2 others made the tough swim. Split finners were basically dead in the water. Too much flex, not enough power. Just make sure you do some swimming muscle exercise to prevent cramps.

Don't mind the .gifs or the non-responses. They are just ways of saying this question has been raised more times than most of us can count
And that those discussions tend to trigger the good old "pass me the beer and popcorn" instinct..

What you want for the alternative kicks is a fairly stiff blade fin. The classic is the ScubaPro Jet fin, but there are competitors -- Turtles and Hollis F1s in heavy fins, the OMS slipstreams and Dive Rite EXPs in light ones are examples.

Softer blades can be used, but are less efficient. I have a set of Deep See Pulse fins that I use in the pool, because they are plastic and very light. I have used them in open water, but they are annoyingly flexible.

You CAN do all the kicks in split fins. It is not very efficient, and it is extremely difficult to learn in them.

I have the Atomic Aquatics as well and like them too. I've had stiffer fins and preferred a little easier effort. I've never found them wanting and for efficiency seemed to actually improve it because it took less effort to get where I was going and they've been to quite a few high current locations. However, this is only personal observation and not under test conditions.

One common objection against stiff paddle fins is that they are tiring in a flutter kick. I felt the same way and avoided the flutter as much as possible.

About a month ago, Guy Shockey showed me how to properly flutter kick the venerable Scubapro Jets. The improvement was remarkable: twice as fast with absolutely no cramps or fatigue in the legs. I was literally shouting "Wow!" through my regulator. (Hint: The correct kick is not even close to how splitfinners move their legs)

This reinforces the notion that most equipment solutions to solve a skill problem are unnecessary. It may be better learning how to use proven tools properly rather than spending money on gimmicks.

Last edited:
This dude obviously, just went diving

[video=youtube;8ahQYqho7w4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahQYqho7w4&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

doesn't need a stiff fin or a big red car

no time for all the malarkey about fins

too busy, learning, to use what he has

talent

Back
Top Bottom