Split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a pair of used Beuchat paddles, but when they started falling apart I went out and got Atomic splits. I've been using them for a year now, about 80 dives. In general, I am able to do anything I want in them without much difficulty. I sometimes work very close to the reef doing photo shots and I find I actually kick up less sand and silt with the splits than my old paddles (admittedly my technique has improved as well). My feet also feel less tired after the dive than they did with the paddles.

However, one thing I do NOT like about the splits is that it seems like one half of the fin is often getting caught under the drip mat on the dive boat when exiting or boarding the boat. Now I know all fins are awkward out of the water, but I just find my splits especially annoying when it comes to getting hung up on stuff that's on the boat deck when shuffling on or off. Once in the water, they're great.

In the future, I would like to try a pair of Force Fins and see how they feel. I like the fact that they're shorter than paddles or splits, and curved upwards.

>*< Fritz

To answer the earlier question about scientific fin studies, the studies referenced below may be of interest. Fin design, be it paddles or splits, vents or channels, seems to have little impact on performance, notwithstanding manufacturers' claims. Both stiff and flexible fins can have similar performances. When asked, most divers will say that they feel that stiffer fins perform better, although that is not necessarily true.

In many studies, experienced divers are used. This presents certain problems because whatever type of fin they typically use will probably be the fin they are most efficient using.

Pendergast DR, Mollendorf J, Logue C, Samimy S (2003). "Evaluation of fins used in underwater swimming". Undersea Hyperb Med 30 (1): 57&#8211;73. PMID 12841609. Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/3936.

Pendergast DR, Mollendorf J, Logue C, Samimy S (2003). "Underwater fin swimming in women with reference to fin selection". Undersea Hyperb Med 30 (1): 75&#8211;85. PMID 12841610

In the future, I would like to try a pair of Force Fins and see how they feel. I like the fact that they're shorter than paddles or splits, and curved upwards.

>*< Fritz
Hello, I can comment on Force Fins - Now mine are old - purchased back in the 80's I believe. I have had back problems for most of my life so I found these fins on sale and purchased them. I am glad as I found them much easier to use for my knees and back than the fins that I learned with. My dive experience is limited because of my location but I love to go and I would not travel without my fins. I have tried them with and without inserts (booties - yes, I am a girl):blinking: and I like to have the booties on for warmth and walking to the water.
My husband who has been diving much longer and is Very experienced still likes his fins that are the straight black variety. He has long powerful legs so that probably once again shows that people choose what works best for them.
Carol

I didn't read the full 10 pages of comments, but coming from a very newly certified open water diver, I did 5 dives last weekend on Catalina Island CA. The first dive (which was also my first Ocean dive ever) I had normal fins on. My legs hurt, I was overly tired (no, I'm not out of shape hehe) and it seemed a huge chore to kick through relatively calm waters. For my second dive (and for the rest of the trip) I used a pair of split fins. What a world of difference, I was in some crazy kelp forests, there was current, and it was still so much better than the normal fins. I'm sure is personal preference? But my only question, from a newb point of view, how can split fins be a legitimate concern for entanglement? I was buried in kelp a few dives, and had much more of an issue with my tank snagging on it, fins never caused an issue and my legs felt great all day long boat diving.

Just my observations from a new diver :)

I've read they may be easier on the legs.:popcorn:

Ben

A buddy and I traded for a couple of dives (I use split fins normally and he uses non-split). I had many more cramps than normal when using his.

Nothing scientifically studied on my part, but I have to say that I agree.

It's a proven fact that Red split fins work better than Black split fins. The color reacts with the salt in the water and creates an energy which helps generate more propulsion.

I did not read all the posts for this thread but I use split fins and jet fins both. And I think that they both have a place. When diving the ledges spearfishing I generally use my scuba pro split fins, easier on the legs. Whe ever Im in the caverns, caves, or wrecks use my old jet fins which are less likely to kick up silt or get hung in fishing lines draped over the wreck or reel lines in the caves. Chose the the brands I use because both are negative bouyancy

But my only question, from a newb point of view, how can split fins be a legitimate concern for entanglement? I was buried in kelp a few dives, and had much more of an issue with my tank snagging on it, fins never caused an issue and my legs felt great all day long boat diving.

Just my observations from a new diver :)

Split fines aren't going to cause entanglement in kelps or anything else. If anything, your tank, regulator, BC, big ass knives strapped to legs/arms, are the cause for entanglement. And then there are entanglements and there are entanglements. If you dive in kelp forest enough, you'll get caught in them one way or another. It's easy to free yourself by just reaching back and pull the kelps off you or break them. The nasty kind of entanglement is when you freak out and start to roll around the kelps. That's the kind of entanglement that will get you killed. As far as entanglement with fishing lines go, that's why we carry cutting instruments.

It's a proven fact that Red split fins work better than Black split fins. The color reacts with the salt in the water and creates an energy which helps generate more propulsion.

Yessirree!!! I can always outswim the dudes in black split fins just because of my pair of red.:cool2:

Sorry but the last place I want to be with a pair of split fins is in a confined area such as a wreck or cave system. Its true that we carry cutting utensils to clear lines if needed but the object it to try to avoid it. I have never dove in kelp so I cant speak from experience, and I can see that it may not be an issue, but a pair of splits in a silty area can cause some real problems.

Back
Top Bottom