Suggestion Splitting the BCD Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Jarrett

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The BCD section has become consumed with discussion about BP/W's. It is to the point that you can't get advice on non BP/W questions there anymore. Any request for information about non-BP/W BCDs is met with 10 responses of "you should get a BP/W."

Most of the non-BP/W users have quit posting in that forum due to the beating that they take when they mention anything but a BP/W. While the BP/W may be a great option for some, the majority of divers out there are not in BP/W setups and still need advice there as well.

My suggestion is to split this forum.

How about subsections like:

Traditional BCDs (Jacket/Back-inflate)
Backplates & Wings

That way posters interested in each could inquire and receive non combative discussions on each type of platform. I believe this would also bring more traditional BCD owners back to the forum for discussions who may otherwise be reluctant to post these days due to the current bias.

well, he may disagree...

i know some people who argue for/against different kinds of plates all day long

basically, all i need is somethingt to bolt to my tank and put a harness and wings on... a stop sign would do

NetDoc:
Jarrett...

sometimes people will let no good deed go unpunished. Look at the responses when I first entered this discussion. People put words into my mouth. Big whoop, I guess I am incredibly used to it.

I also hope that those who preach BP&Wings over all else will give it a rest. It's NOT how the rest of the world dives and neither is it how the rest of the world needs to dive. My trim does not suffer when I go from my trusty Oceanic Chute II to my impressive camouflaged DSS BP&Wing. I can achieve the same trim wearing a BC that I have never worn before and I have proven that many a time. Getting a BP&Wing is not a panacea for good diving. It won't check your gauges for you and it is horrible at making decisions at depth.

NetDoc, I don't understand your post on this issue. Aren't you the person who runs this board? You seem disappointed that everyone doesn't agree with you, but sometimes that happens in a community such as this. I would think that you of all people have an interest in listening to what your supporters have to say. What you see in this thread is a very small number of people suggesting that the forum be split, and a larger number of people disagreeing. It has nothing to do with "no good deads going unpunished". Your last sentence is ridiculous, and only furthers the problem. I would have expected better from someone in your position.

Mafiaman:
Mr Evad, your last 3 remarks only serve to bolster the position that BP/W poster are argumentative, persistent, and over bearing.

What words of wisdom will you share with us next?
Naan Naany Poo Doo? :rofl3:

It's banter. I can't tell if you're kidding, or if you're actually taking this post seriously.

H2Andy:
that's probably because bp/wings are so similar from manufacturer to manufacturer

i mean, a plate is a plate, a wing is a wing
Not really ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

H2Andy:
well, he may disagree...

i know some people who argue for/against different kinds of plates all day long

basically, all i need is somethingt to bolt to my tank and put a harness and wings on... a stop sign would do

Have you tried the Mach 5/ OldRustyFlattenedOutMailBox configuation?

ok, i'll leave the bp/wings connosseurship to others who can appreciate it

:wink:

i've only ever tried a Halcyon plate and a Dive Rite plate

H2Andy:
ok, i'll leave the bp/wings connosseurship to others who can appreciate it

:wink:

i've only ever tried a Halcyon plate and a Dive Rite plate

No, this is important.

evad:
No, this is important.
True ... perhaps we can discuss it in the BP/W forum ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jarrett:
No split. Fair enough. At least I offered a solution.

I think some of you misunderstand my position. I'll go toe to toe with anyone online or otherwise :) I can easily handle an online debate as you can see I had no problem taking on the entire BP/W group right here. The issue is not with me. I'm willing to stand up to "internet experts" but many are not. Instead most seem to just withdraw from posting.

Take a look back six months ago at the posts in the BCD forum. There were lots of discussions on various types of BCDs both BP/W and Non-BP/W. Many more posters active on the forum. Even more BCD manufacturers active. I can't remember the last time I've seen Zeagle post in there.

Now flash forward to today. The same Non-BP/W threads get little attention or response, while BP/W threads thrive on cheerleading and conflict. Lots of bickering sometimes spinning into inane arguments between the makers of BP/W's and their flunkies. Less and less non-BP/W users will voice an opinion. Not a positive move forward in my opinion.

As I said before this is not about me. I will more than likely end up owning a BP/W and I can handle myself online, but watching the negative spin on the BCD forum reduce the overall number of posters in unfortunate to watch.

At the very least I hope bringing this to light will make the vocal minority think about how their actions on the forum effect the overall board.

It is tough to offer a solution when we don't agree with what you think is a problem. Scubaboard is a forum for open discussion. No one has the ability to stop anyone from speaking out... Mods excluded, of course. This craziness that we are seeing is a result of an open forum. The discussion has simply gravitated in the direction that it has. Is it the fault of the active participants? Not at all. They talk about what interests them. If others don't want to join the discussion then that says something. You may conclude that this is the result of threats and impositions from a few but I disagree completely. If you want to "restore order" to the BCF, generate some interesting standard BC topics and start talking about it... find others that will join with you. Let's see some excitement from those who love their BCs. Come on... talk.

Please... don't sit there and blame the people that actually contribute their time and efforts to these discussions? They're the backbone of these forums. Without their contributions the BCF would have 3 or 4 threads a week. Scolding this crowd is simply unjustified. These users PARTICIPATE! They ARE the forum. They aren't the "vocal minority".... just the opposite... these people make the BCF. To suggest that they are just a few loud mouths is insulting and unfair. I wouldn't blame them if they packed their bags and went over to the TDS rec board.

People talk about what they want to talk about... end of story. Because it doesn't reflect what is happening in the real world has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

Mafiaman:
Mr Evad, your last 3 remarks only serve to bolster the position that BP/W poster are argumentative, persistent, and over bearing.

What words of wisdom will you share with us next?
Naan Naany Poo Doo? :rofl3:

Lighten up, man. evad is just adding color.

Besides... it's little bunny foo foo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom