Sports Chalet does not price match with Scuba.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamike16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Board,

I just wanted to let you know that Sports Chalet does not price match with Scuba.com. I had an interesting experience with Sports Chalet in Huntington Beach on Sunday. I called over to their Scuba department to look into some fins. They had what I was looking for and I asked if they price matched. The Difference was $50.00 from what scuba.com was selling their fin for compared to Sports Chalet. The person in the Scuba Department was very nice and helpful. I went down to the Cashier and presented the printout of the fin and the Cashier called the Manager to get approval. The Manger on the phone told the cashier no they couldn't do it because it was a web store. I kindly advised the Cashier that scuba.com sells on the web also, but they have a physical shop in Irvine, California. I then asked the Cashier to call the Manager over. After she arrived she advised me that they do not price match web online stores to which i stated that scuba.com has a physical store in California and they pay taxes and ship from California. She then changed her story to "we offer price matching as a service" and they would price match any other dive store except "scuba.com" which I was shocked to hear. She said that they (Sports Chalet) offers a "higher level of service" compared to scuba.com, that is why they do not price match with scuba.com, and said their staff was not that knowledgeable and that she has been to the store.

The only reason I did not buy the fins there was because I am going on a trip in a few days and they did not have them in sock and wouldn't until after Memorial Day weekend. I am telling you my story with them so incase anyone was thinking of seeing if Sports Chalet would price match with any company, in particular Scuba.com they will not and to save you the trip and gas. I for one have been very happy with Scuba.com's experienced staff for the times I have been there. It is a shame to think someone who is a Manager at a competing retailer who may or may not be a certified diver say such a thing. Its actions like that, that make me try other dive shops in my area and give them my hard earned money for good customer service.

M

Just to keep it balanced let's point out a couple things:

First, you said the manager may or may not be a diver. That means you don't know. We can just as easily assume she is NOT a diver and was merely winging it while justifying her decision.

Second, because this ONE manager made that decision doesn't mean she speaks for all sport chalet locations or even that store. She may have made an on-the-spot decision and when challenged, stuck to her guns.

Lastly, if you feel strongly enough to make a post like this, perhaps you should contact the corporate offices and get their reaction.

Just curious....what brand/model fins were $50 more at Sport Chalet?

Hey On_To_Wheels,

First, You are right I don't know if she was a diver and I stated so in my post. I am not looking to create a flame War, I am just letting others know if they plan on having SC price match, they will not with this one store.

Second as for your comment about it being all Sports Chalet locations she (Manager) advised it was all locations and this was from the Top Management at SC, and lastly, yes I am already in the process of contacting the Corporate Office about this and see if they can give a clearer reason for this.

As for the fin that was $50 higher at Sports Chalet it was the Tusa X-Pert Zoom SF-8. They sell it for $149.99, and Scuba.com has it for 99.99.

Cheers,
M

A lot of companies won't price match with online vendors. I don't find it surprising, and I don't necessarily blame Sport Chalet. You'll find the same behavior from Best Buy (insert company here) if you walk in with an ad from Amazon or any other online vendor. Sport Chalet does indicate on their website they won't price match with any company that isn't "brick and mortar" nor will they price match their own online sales. In essence, you're paying the premium for getting to buy locally (instant gratification!), try the gear on, maybe even test it before you buy. That may or may not be worth the additional cost.

While SCUBA.COM does have a place in Irvine, it's my understanding it's not a store - just a repair depot, training center and a place to get your tank filled. I don't believe you can drop by and browse the same way you can with an LDS so I wouldn't consider it a "store front" in the traditional sense. Have you stopped by their facility and can you shop there?

I guess I don't understand the issue. You had the fins in your hand, and they were $50 bucks more than the other guy, who was out of stock and wouldn't have stock until after you had to have them. It doesn't really matter what Scuba.com's price was, because you couldn't get the fins there. Sports Chalet had the fin, were willing to sell it to you, and $150 sounds reasonable for a pair of new fins. I must say, I don't know the fin, I still use the fins I got as an open water diver, they are serviceable, so I don't usually look at fins in a dive shop. Out of curiosity, did you buy the fins?

It does seem a little cheesy that Sports Chalet claims to price match then have restrictions on the price matching, but maybe they have a terms and conditions price matching policy written somewhere and you haven't seen it. In any case, you have your fins, you didn't pay an outrageous price for them, and you will be able to take them diving on Memorial Day. Sounds like a winner all around. If it's just down to a fight over 50 bucks, that sounds like a lot of aggravation and frustration to me.

I certainly don't know your personal situation, but it's sure easy to blow 50 bucks worth of frustration writing letters and posting on chat boards. I'd rather have a beer. :D

To Thiad,

Yes Scuba.com's store in Irvine you can try on equipment. Their Sales associates are very helpful and you can drop in and browse any gear they have in stock and I have done this.

Cheers,

To Surinusa555: Thank you very much for the info!!

To All: I ended up getting the fins elsewhere with free shipping and a great deal with spring straps and will get them in a few days which I am ok with. I did ask the Manager where their policy was on price matching, was it on their website, was it written somewhere to review? She claimed there was no policy it was "just a service" they provide to the customer. I explained in these economic times with an expensive sport wouldnt it be just good plain business to price match to keep a customer and get their money instead of giving it to someone else? She said they offer a higher level of service that that they could not match them. Oh well, its the principal of it that is the issue I brought up. I am not frustrated that they wouldn't price match, SC does their own thing and it will either hurt or help them with building a good customer base. I was just trying to let others know of my experience so they will not have to go through it. I have found this board to be very helpful and for all that I took from the board I just wanted to give back.

To Wookie, yes as I typed it I had a beer near by :)

I know you said you are going on a trip soon, but just get them at leisurepro for $75 and free shipping.

This is usually my preference as well.

Comparing Sports Chalet to Best Buy is IMHO a very good comparison and that sums it up for better or worse.

For what it is worth, most stores who price match only do it when the exact same item is in stock, online or not.

Back
Top Bottom