Sports Chalet does not price match with Scuba.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A bar with a liquor store next door. The hooch is way cheaper at the liquor store. How many go into the bar for drinks, how many to the liquor store and take the hooch home. Before you say it's apples and oranges, wait a minute. The bar has a bartender who provides a way higher level of service than the liquor store does. He has knowledge, he is witty, he tells you a joke. The liquor store has a sullen clerk that snaps gum in your face. You go into a liquor store you'd better know what you want, because the clerk isn't an expert on a fuzzy hairy slippery naval/nipple against the wall. You wouldn't think of asking a bartender to price match the liquor store prices, would ya?

Not that any of this means anything. I was just struck by inspiration.

Threads like this crack me up...you complain about the box stores not being able to match prices from internet shops...then when the box stores close, you complain about not being able to get air fills.

Threads like this crack me up...you complain about the box stores not being able to match prices from internet shops...then when the box stores close, you complain about not being able to get air fills.

I did not see any complaint about not being able to get air fill. In fact, I don't remember the last time I have actually heard such a complaint from a diver. It does seem to pop up often though in post from LDS associated dive professionals who would like to coerce divers away from the price savings afforded by many online retailers (as both retailers in this complaint are).

Reactions: reo
Strangely enough, I never had an issue with getting decent prices from LDSes.

I think I've bought an OMS pressure gauge from Leisurepro and that's about it. Everything else in my stash came from an LDS of some sort. Some things I bought via phone, but still from brick & mortar shops.

I did not see any complaint about not being able to get air fill. In fact, I don't remember the last time I have actually heard such a complaint from a diver. It does seem to pop up often though in post from LDS associated dive professionals who would like to coerce divers away from the price savings afforded by many online retailers (as both retailers in this complaint are).

No offense guys but awap is right. This was never a LDS Vs. Internet store thread until you guys MADE it one. The OP's comments had nothing do do with the old tired debate we are all sick of. The OP commented on two (technically speaking) LDS's and where the best price could be found. Later, some of us mentioned some online retailers (all have store fronts and are also LDS's as well btw) There is nothing wrong with asking for a price match or wanting better prices. It has been going on for centuries, long before the internet or all of us even. Again nothing personal, I just hate to see people infer what isn't there.

If you really want to do your most excellent LDS a favor and be positive then I suggest maybe saying, "Hey OP, maybe you had a bad experience with X shop but why don't you come over to X shop and I bet they would be more than willing to help you find a great deal AND get awesome customer service as well."

I personally, having just moved to SoCal, would LOVE to hear about an excellent LDS or two. Unfortunately all I hear is the same old tired discussion about how "we" are killing their business. If I could find a LDS who WANTS to give me a good deal (not always a better deal mind you) and WANTS to offer great service and not lip service and who isn't afraid of the interweb then please tell me about one and i will go check it out! :) Honestly, I mean that.

Last edited:
Deleted my own post because I just don't want to add fuel to this flame anymore.
Now who wants to go diving? :)

Last edited:
Ah yes the great online vs actual store debate. It seems that in this day and age everyone wants a deal and are willing to sacrifice customer service to get it. The reason why a physical store cannot compete with an online store is the obvious - Overheads and staff salaries.

This and the fact that an online store may not be an official retailer for the product - ok so maybe with fins this is not a huge issue but when it comes to computers, regs and bc's and you have an issue then the manufacturers will charge you for repairs as it was purchased from an unauthorized source. The 'Grey' market is rife with this and as a previous camera sales person I had to deal with it all the time.

I work for SC as a DM and sales person and deal with price matching all the time. Most of the time when we can, we price match or meet in the middle on price, especially if the product is from an online store and you weigh up the cost of shipping and the time it takes to get a product. If someone is selling something super cheap, I contact the manufacturer and ask why and how.

As far as Scuba being a bastard child of SC - I think it comes down to the attitudes of the staff involved. I pride myself on the best customer service I can provide along with a passion for diving.

As with anything a few rotten apples can spoil the entire experience.

I guess I don't understand the issue. You had the fins in your hand, and they were $50 bucks more than the other guy, who was out of stock and wouldn't have stock until after you had to have them. It doesn't really matter what Scuba.com's price was, because you couldn't get the fins there.

This is key in my opinion. I have never come accross a price match deal that would extend even if the product was not on the shelf for sale (although I am not saying this deal will never exist or that stores may not make a judgement call). I spent ~$1600 on a DSL camera with lenses and bag etc. and the next day saw a flyer for the same camera and one of my lenses on sale for $150 less. I went into Future shop, talked to them and after 5 minutes polite discussion with them trying to squirm out of it, they called the other store to confirm the product was identical and in stock and gave me my refund. Had the product not been on the shelf, I would have been SOL.

Hello all,

I never meant this to be a LDS vs Internet Online debate. I was just letting those know that SC does not price match SCUBA.COM. For as long as I have been diving I purchased all my gear locally and prefer to support my Local Dive Shop, which SCUBA.COM is one of them. When I have found a price for something online cheaper for something I wanted to purchase I always give my LDS first crack and some have met it or came close to it. This was the first time I asked SC to price match and now I know their policy.

Thank you all for your comments :)

Happy Diving,
M

Interestingly, scuba.com has no trouble price matching Sport Chalet prices. I use both Scuba.com and Sport Chalet, but I buy service intensive stuff like regs from scuba.com because you can get free adjustments on the spot from them as long as you do your anual service there. Sport Chalet had an awesome deal on a Tusa reg, almost $100 less than Scuba.com, but Scuba.com matched it without any fuss at all. Lately I've been splitting my business between those stores and Liburdis. I figure more local stores is better for all. I've never been in the HB Sport Chalet, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom