Sports Chalet.. HP tanks.. and yoke valves.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JacobK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So.. I got back from Sports Chalet. I was going to purchase a HP 100 and I wanted a yoke valve. He said that he can not sell them because it needs a DIN valve. And what I was asking for was too dangerous.

I told him that I already have a HP 100 with a yoke valve and have been using it for over a year now. I get regular fills at 3500 PSI at LDS and 3000 on boats. He told me that I was playing russian roulette.

He said that Sports Chalet will only fill yoke values to 3000 PSI regardless if it is a high pressure. Reason being was because an employee was injured during a fill.

This a load of BS? Judging from previous post, sounds like it.

Just what Dannobee said.

3500 is the requirement for DIN.

The 3442 series cylindes are rated just a few atmosphere's below 3500 to skirt the requirement. With the insert in or out they can be used each way.

It's all irrlevant because the diffrenece is well with the gauge and reading errors of the fill station unless a calibarted digital fill gauge is used. This is rare unless gas mixing is going on.

Somone had an accident and it sounds like they make an uninformed knee jerk policy. That or you just found the jerk.

Pete

Check the valve... it's probably one of the convertable ones with the inserts.. most of the X7-100's have been shipping like that... Unless he had taken the orig valve and was trying to pull a fast one.

I've found that more than a few Sports Chalet Dive Dept. employees tend to be clueless about a lot of things.

I like their prices tho'.

dannobee:
Ben brings up a good point. If the valve is convertible, take out the insert right in front of him and say, "OK, now it's a DIN valve, you can fill it."

MAn that would be great!!! make sure the camera is rolling for that.... Better yet. "I'll bet you a case of beer I can make the valve a DIN in 10 secs" :D

They guys at Underwater Sports in Olympia, WA obviously are drinking the same water. Several of us had that same weird argument up here.

I've always thought the industry was odd on this "rule" of 3500 requiring DIN.

One of my regulators has 4000psi stamped in the yoke. My Sherwood tank valves have 5000psi stamped on them. If I had them on 3500psi tanks, you'd figured I'd be able to use this setup as yoke right? go figure?

SC made a policy of only filling to the capabilites of the valve, not the cylinder a few years back, when all those convertable valves came out.

I have not heard of any accidents with dive shop employees at any of the stores, while I do not work there anymore, I do have a lot of friends that do. SO, I usually hear about the bonehead stuff....

The dive shop employee may not be aware of the burst discs in the valve...or forgot, depending on how young that person is; It used to be poilcy to take a VIP course before being allowed to fill tanks...not sure if that is still the case or not.

Just go to a diffetn LDS, or find a capable employee at SC, and only go to SC when that employee is working...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom