Spring Break Diving in SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iwalkathinline

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey fellow divers, I'm trying to plan a diving trip for Spring Break & need some info on visibility & conditions in March. I dove Coronado over Labor Day Weekend a few years ago, and the vis was pretty bad... Are there any clear waters in March in SoCal?

My girlfriend will be a brand new diver so can't do anything complex...

Thanks for any feedback!

Visibility is not dictated by the season. It's a crap shoot even hour to hour.

Temperate / Cold water diving can be a challenge to a new diver who was instructed in a warm water environment.

Typically there is a plankton bloom in the spring but it can occur at any time. We had one last month. As underwater said we can have great and bad conditions at any time. I watch the swell models and live beach cameras before deciding to dive.

Concur with what's been stated already. You may want to venture up north a bit and get out to the northern Channel Islands of Anacapa or Santa Cruz, where you may find a bit better visibility during the spring algae bloom season. There are day boats going out of Ventura Harbor on Fridays, Saturday and Sunday (Spectre, Peace and Raptor dive boats) and also multi day liveaboards out of Santa Barbara (Truth Aquatics).

Back
Top Bottom