Spring straps revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pipedope:
I squeezed the shackle to make it secure on the fin post and that is why the pin is sticking way out.

I then replaced the pin with a screw. The screw is stainless 10-32 x 3/4" also from Home Depot.

Ahh, that is much better.:)

My package of 4 screws turned out to be a package of 3 owing to some in store pilfering I failed to notice. Rather than drive the mile back to HD I decided to cut down the pin so it would be flush with the shackel. I then cut a slot across the center so i could screw it in with a small straight slot screwdriver.

How does the spring feel on your foot? I like the rubber strap across the back of my heel cuz it's comfortable, but it certainly is more of a pain to take off. I usually keep my straps sinched tight on my heel too, just a preference.

so is the spring pretty comfortable and secure feeling? I wouldn't want the feeling of too loose, like my foot would slide right out of the spring. I'm always open to different ideas, just wondering if it would be worth it for me to try...

Divmstr223:
How does the spring feel on your foot? I like the rubber strap across the back of my heel cuz it's comfortable, but it certainly is more of a pain to take off. I usually keep my straps sinched tight on my heel too, just a preference.

I'm accustomed to cranking my straps real tight as well, which is why i always have problems getting my fins off. I used the 11" McMaster Carr springs and found them to be snug enough, without shortening, on my medium size Mares Quatros and size 10 Dive Rite dry boots. I did find the PVC tubing to be a bit slick though so I had the local shoe repair guy stich a couple of loops of 1 1/2" webbing which i slipped over the tubing. Also left a little tail on the loop to assist in doffing and donning - or at least look that way.

I also tried them with my caribbean boots. While significantly less snug they seemed okay for that application as well. Guess i'll find out on my upcoming trip to Provo.

TomP:
I'm accustomed to cranking my straps real tight as well, which is why i always have problems getting my fins off. I used the 11" McMaster Carr springs and found them to be snug enough, without shortening, on my medium size Mares Quatros and size 10 Dive Rite dry boots. I did find the PVC tubing to be a bit slick though so I had the local shoe repair guy stich a couple of loops of 1 1/2" webbing which i slipped over the tubing. Also left a little tail on the loop to assist in doffing and donning - or at least look that way.

I also tried them with my caribbean boots. While significantly less snug they seemed okay for that application as well. Guess i'll find out on my upcoming trip to Provo.

thanks Tom....ya know, I think I'm gonna give the springs a try. I'm not for sure if I'll make them (probably will) or buy them, but I'm very interested on how they'll work for me.....

:14:

Divmstr223:
thanks Tom....ya know, I think I'm gonna give the springs a try. I'm not for sure if I'll make them (probably will) or buy them, but I'm very interested on how they'll work for me.....

:14:

Making them is cheaper and more fun but best of luck either way.

Just got back from Roatan where I was able to test out my new spring straps and I've got to say ..................... "SPRING STRAPS ROCK" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Boogie!:57:

I made my spring heals with an 8 inch spring from home depot and a couple zip ties for a total price of $8 for the pair.

I'll soon go back and put the shackles on there, when I find the right size, put nylon string on the inside to keep the springs from over stretching, as well as put some rubber tubbing over the spring to keep the spring from pinching me.

This is a cheap, quick, and easy way of doing it.

TomP:

I also use the loop but at the end I put a male/female clip to each. Now I can attach the clips through a d-ring of my bc, and be that much more hands free while walking to the water.
Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom