Springs Diving In Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bug man

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I am a Ocean Diver here in fl, but i am wondering about springs.. what are some of the best springs to dive....why are they good...and i live inorlando so id like to know the closet ones...i really appreciate it..

Ginnie Springs, as an OW you will be able to see all four, you just cant enter beyond daylight. I just got back on Thursday. It was a blast.

P.S. Lock your gear in your car, we got out camp site robbed, sleeping bags, cell phone(which should not have been in the tent anyway) a lantren and chairs. The staff was very nice and refunded our camping fees. but it was a bummer.

Overall the dives were great, I got some great shots to be uploaded soon.

72 degrees all year round. and you can drift dive the river.

Dont let my bad luck stop ya. we must have just been an easy target, but keep all your valables in your car...

From Orlando, the closest spring that you can dive is Blue Springs in Orange City. OW depths are to 60', with a strong flow. The drift back down the spring run is really nice.
Alexander Springs is a little farther away. It is shallow, with max depth being 25'. There is a lot of marine life at Alexander, and the squirrels around the spring are notorious, brazen thieves.

There are other springs worth diving, including the aforementioned Ginnie, Manatee, Peacock, Royal, Telford, Fanning, and probably some more that I am not remembering.

There are also some commercial dive operations at some sinkholes, but most of these are actually cavern dives, and are more expensive than the state parks.

As mentioned, Blue Spring in Orange City is a decent spring. However, when the water level is down, the current out of the spring is very strong. You will basically have to climb down the walls. There are a couple of small caverns between 20 and 40 feet that are about 10-15 feet back. There may or may not be a grim reaper sign at 60 feet. There was one last year. No lights allowed unless cavern or higher certed. You must dive with a buddy. The drift back to the steps is pretty. No air. I think it's $10 for divers.

Alexander Springs, also mentioned, shallow, but good for a long dive. Has a small cavern you can crawl into. Lots of aquatic life. No air. I think it's also $10 for divers.

Ginnie Springs, larger cavern, 55 ft deep, you can get out of the light zone in part of it. Lights are allowed with OW divers in the Ginnie Cavern. It's only good for one dive, maybe 2, then you get bored. You can also dive Devil's, but unless you're cave certified, it's not really worth it. Air fills. $28 for divers.

Blue Grotto, Paradise Springs, Devil's Den, all around Williston, are okay. Privately owned. You have to watch a video. You can bring lights in. I haven't dived Devil's Den, but haven't heard great things about it either. Blue Grotto is a cavern that hits 100 ft and has a big rope you can follow around the edges of it (not recommended for OW divers). Paradise Springs is probably the best of the 3. It has a lot of fossils embedded in the ceilings and walls. You can reach the grim reaper sign at 95 feet (again not recommended at just OW, but is allowed). It does go beyond to about 140 feet - Please don't attempt this. Most of this spring is an overhead environment. Air fills at all 3. $30-40 entry fee.

Troy Spring, NW of High Springs. State Park. 80 ft deep, viz can be browned out by the river. Has a paddle boat in it. I haven't been in this one yet. Plan to next month. Does have steps leading into the water. No air. $10.

Peacock Spring State Park. Cave diver state park. Only area you can dive here as an OW diver is Orange Grove. It drops down to about 75 ft. It's good for about a dive or 2 as an OW diver. No lights allowed. Air a couple of miles down the road at Kathy's (Dive Outpost). $10.

Hope this helps.

I have yet to dive Peacock, but plan to get over there soon. I've done 4 dives in Troy. It's a bit of a haul for you. Site is lovely. Vis is ok if you hit it beofre the students get in. I don't know how they get 80ft. I nearly tasted the sand this weekend and only hit 68. If you put your computer by the boil, I suspect you may get 72. Or maybe that tunnel is 80.

I still haven't seen the boat.

-P

Dive-aholic:
Troy Spring, NW of High Springs. State Park. 80 ft deep, viz can be browned out by the river. Has a paddle boat in it. I haven't been in this one yet. Plan to next month. Does have steps leading into the water. No air. $10.

Peacock Spring State Park. Cave diver state park. Only area you can dive here as an OW diver is Orange Grove. It drops down to about 75 ft. It's good for about a dive or 2 as an OW diver. No lights allowed. Air a couple of miles down the road at Kathy's (Dive Outpost). $10.

Hope this helps.

I'm REARIN' to get to P1; maybe during the CDS workshop??

BTW, the "boat" is WAY down the run towards the Suwannee...

http://www.pbase.com/eanx/image/27453860

Norm

PerroneFord:
I have yet to dive Peacock, but plan to get over there soon. I've done 4 dives in Troy. It's a bit of a haul for you. Site is lovely. Vis is ok if you hit it beofre the students get in. I don't know how they get 80ft. I nearly tasted the sand this weekend and only hit 68. If you put your computer by the boil, I suspect you may get 72. Or maybe that tunnel is 80.

I still haven't seen the boat.

-P

Water lvls have been low that why you only got 68ft. some times the water is so high that half the ramp is u/w!

gotta love MANATEE State Park.... a beautiful sunday in florida and our little entourage are the only people there! (well, for most of the day anyway) - no SCUBA facilities, but it's make a wonderful day, 2 completely different dives. the river is down quite a bit since i was last there which made the river drift a bit fast, but still wonderful

http://piddlefish.servepics.com/SCUBA/2006-04-30-335_00-ManateeSprings.php?_get_dive_no_abs=430

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom