Squid Encounters...Real or For Entertaiment Purposes Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day-By-Day

Reaction score
I was watching the History Channel this evening which featured a group of divers in search of giant humbolt squid in the Sea of Cortez. One of the divers gave a detailed description of an attach by 3-4 squid at a depth of 50 feet whereby his arm was grabbed and pulled back dislodging his shoulder while another squid wrapped itself around his thigh and began to pull him down. Although he was eventually able to get himself free of the squid and back up to the boat the encounter made me wonder if diving was more dangerous that I originally thought. My boyfriend (MEMpilot) is an accomplished technical diver who assured me that what I saw on the show was a carefully edited piece of "entertainment footage" and that what I did not see was what was done to provoke the squid in the first place.

I am in the process of getting certified and have a trip to Bonaire booked with MEMpilot (with him as my dive buddy I know I have nothing to fear) and he assured me I will not even encounter a squid on our trip...but I am curious as to anyone out there who may have actually come in contact with a squid and it's reaction to them (without any provocation).

I was just reading about those giant squid in the latest Scuba Diving magazine. A dive op that runs trips down there, the diver was in a chain mail suit and didn't like to dive alone because of how the squid beat him up when he was alone... the article said they are very intelligent but they also said they were aggressive. pretty interesting.

have fun in Bonaire - going for my first time in April, Can't wait!

The diving outfit is Gone To Baja Expeditions.

INACTIVE

For some reason their website is down.

Some people fear sharks, others squids... I fear most humans. Your boyfriend may be right, then again, he may be wrong. In rescue class, we teach that 3 things will make you a more confident diver: skill proficiency, fitness and KNOWLEDGE. Can squids hurt divers? Sure! But so can DCS, sharks, water, rocks, SCUBA tanks, cars, bees and coconuts... You get my drift? It is OK for you to fear squids if you choose so, but do it because you have done your research about them and have discovered that they are sadistic, man-eating, blood sucking crazy animals that roam the seven oceans (seven?). Don't base your fear from a single outtake of a "squid documentary". That's the job of the nightly news. Considering that every year in the USA 500,000 die from smoking, 100,000 die from prescription drugs, 100,000 die from alcohol abuse and tomorrow morning a few will die on the "95" on the way to work, squids are the last thing you have to worry about. Enjoy your open-water class, enjoy your trip to Bonair, and if you chose so, don't dive in the sea of cortez!

The Humbolt squid is a serious danger to divers.

But only in certain areas and certain conditions.

These dive ops go looking for them for the thrill.

Personally I will pass!

I was watching the History Channel this evening which featured a group of divers in search of giant humbolt squid in the Sea of Cortez. One of the divers gave a detailed description of an attach by 3-4 squid at a depth of 50 feet whereby his arm was grabbed and pulled back dislodging his shoulder while another squid wrapped itself around his thigh and began to pull him down. Although he was eventually able to get himself free of the squid and back up to the boat the encounter made me wonder if diving was more dangerous that I originally thought. My boyfriend (MEMpilot) is an accomplished technical diver who assured me that what I saw on the show was a carefully edited piece of "entertainment footage" and that what I did not see was what was done to provoke the squid in the first place.

I am in the process of getting certified and have a trip to Bonaire booked with MEMpilot (with him as my dive buddy I know I have nothing to fear) and he assured me I will not even encounter a squid on our trip...but I am curious as to anyone out there who may have actually come in contact with a squid and it's reaction to them (without any provocation).

Those dangerous squid in that show are in the Sea of Cortez, not in the Caribbean. You are going to Bonaire, and you may see squid - Caribbean Reef Squid. They so cute and amazing and you are blessed if you have an encounter. They range in size from a few inches long to maybe a foot long. We were lucky enough to have a group of them come visit us on a dive. There were about 20+ and were "flying" in formation from smallest to largest. Every now and then one of the large ones would swim over to the babies and get them lined back up right. It was soooooooo amazing. One of my best diving experiences EVER.

robin:D

Tell him to get a boomstick and take it with him and his/your worries are over.

Day-by-Day.... please don't let these guys worry you. You aren't going to get attacked by anything in Bonaire. I am more afraid of sea urchins than anything swimming around!

If you want to know more about Caribbean reef squid, go to Amazon.com and order this DVD. The Blue Realm Underwater Adventure, 2 DVDs with a huge section regarding a study on squid in Bonaire. It discusses their intelligence and their communication system (they talk to each other and you can watch them do it) by color flashes in their skin.
Another great place to learn about them is watch them on the videos by this guy: Stage6 · Belize Nightdives - Video and Download · ronscuba this is by Ronscuba, a boardmember here on Scubaboard..... note his night dive with Caribbean squid is very different from what you saw regarding humbold squid.

robin:D

The Humbolt squids in the various documentaries are being hunted. Unless they are baited they are not commonly encounterd by divers. If you bait them, catch them, provoke them, you take your chances. They are large, powerful, and potentially aggressive. Encounters away from the fishing fleets though show a different side to the squid, curious and yet timid.

There are no Humbolt's for you to encounter in Bonaire. There are small squd, but they are harmless. The two largest species you are likely to see in Bonaire are Hawksbill seaturtles and tarpon. Niether are a threat to you unless you try to tackle them. Keep your hands to yourself and the experience will be awe-inspiring and magical.

I am bringing my GF to Bonaire for her first dives, leaving on the 23rd! Can't wait...

Back
Top Bottom