SR1 vs Mares Abyss 22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Posted recently about issues/concerns with my 1 year old SR1, love the way it breathes, just loosing faith in the reliability, my LDS also sells Mares & after reading about the Abyss 22 I am debating on trading the SR1 in & getting the 22. Figured I would get some opinions from people with more diving experience than myself. Just want to have piece of mind when traveling & diving & not worrry about equipment issues, which is why I spent the dough for my own equipment in the first place. Not sure of the WOB comparison between the two, also wanted to make sure that there were no major Mares design changes on the reg for 2011 or 12, which is probably whats on the shelf, just looking for something very reliable, proven design, would seem that the SR1 is a great reg, just not there yet (my opinion).

I have two Mares Abyss 22's and two HOG D1's. All breathe very well and at this time no issue with any.

Mares have just come out with a whole new lineup......mostly cosmetic changes but the Abyss 22 remains unchanged (as it has for the last 20 years).
It has a proven rugged 1st stage and the best unbalanced 2nd stage made......gets great performance due to by-pass tube and all without levers or knobs.

I had a SR1 and it is the best breathing reg I have ever owned. Is, in my opinion, much better breathing than my current apeks XTX200 I currently dive with and the apeks is no slouch. Having said that see the part about my current XTX200? I had multiply problems out of the SR1. Had the 1st stage explode on me twice, as in 2 times. Which in my mind is 2 times too many. I, posted in the sherwood thread with crickets from the rep. While my wife might not agree I decided my life was not worth the risk of continuing to dive the SR1. I bought mine early and maybe that's the issue but I just didn't feel it was trustworthy.

Been diving for 35 years, and over the years I've become a big fan of the MR12 - Abyss line of regulators. I have several from a late 1960s AMF Voit/Swimaster MR12 through a 2010 Mares Abyss 22. They are all great regulators. You won't go wrong with an Abyss 22.

Mares have just come out with a whole new lineup......mostly cosmetic changes but the Abyss 22 remains unchanged (as it has for the last 20 years).
It has a proven rugged 1st stage and the best unbalanced 2nd stage made......gets great performance due to by-pass tube and all without levers or knobs.

I posted in this and somebody removed it??? Comepleyly agree with you , Read the manufactureres post. I wouldn't bash Sherwood so much but they said they would refund me and when it came to pony up they changed their mine. They told me and my dive shop this on the phone directly. Replaced it with a Abyss and been happy ever since.

I have an abyss, and never had an issue. It breathes maybe a little to easy sometimes. Seems that I have to inhale immediately after I exhale.

Part of my equipment is MR22 (cold water adapted) with an Abyss and it just works fine.

As mentioned previously it gives gas easily, which will increase your gas usage, but on the oher hand that is really a comfort issue, too.

While having also a recent Abyss/MR22 (which is more lightweight for travel issues), I still prefer an 'older' Abyss/MR22 produced in the 90s.

That said, I think that you can't do anything wrong while going for an MR22/Abyss configuration, because I have used very few regulators that would be slightly better.

I have an SR1, Zeagle FH VI and HOG D2 CW. Love them all. Must have over 200 dives on the SR1. Had only one free flow with it, brought it back to the LDS, it was replaced by Sherwood with a brand new one. No complaint with Sherwood. My GF dives with an Abyss 22 and she loves it. Could not agree more with her too.

Back
Top Bottom