SRP CYD vs CY filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dahodevil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the difference besides the dome and the price? I would imagine you couldn't put a cap on the CYD, which might be useful. Could you stack macros with the CY?

Performance wise I haven't noticed any real difference between the 2, in theory the dome should get more even colour filtering with the fisheye lens but I really havent noticed this thoug I havent done a proper direct comparison. The regular CY has no outer threads either to minimize the profile but you can thread it outside a macro lens if it has outer threads, can be the same with the dome but I wouldn't recommend it as I had a tough time getting one off my macro filter. It may have just been a very tight fit but I had just about given up on getting it off when I finally managed to, it may vary between other filters and I cant even remember which macro lens it was that I got one stuck in as I have quite a few brands I have tried.

The dome is more prone to scratching though minor scratches won be visible in use underwater and I lost my CYD in the middle of Port Phillip Bay a while ago after putting it in a filter pouch but forgetting to close it before swimming off. I have got another since and will try and do some side by side tests on a pari of blacks using both to see if there is much difference between them. I have intended to do this for a while but keep getting distracted by the sealife and forget about most of my plans unless its a very crappy dive with not much to see which then would make for a boring video and I try and avoid those these days if I can as my better ones are boring enough. :D

In addition to what is mentioned above, the dome is made of plastic while the CY filter is glass. hence the price jump for the CY.

I haven't has much luck with ANY plastic filter. They all quickly develop scratches with moderate use in my environments (wreck and reef) - Despite what some manufacturers might have you believe many of the scratches are very noticeable in the video. I have had no problems whatsoever with the glass filters and it is the only that I can recommend. No matter how careful I tried to be with the plastic I would always scratch it. Stick with glass lenses and filters whenever possible is my advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glass It is.... Seems like suppliers would make there websites easier to compare products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom