SS Thorfinn Truk Lagoon - Unsafe Practices, Problematic Captain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive Blue Lagoon with consistent diving. While each to their own, I have found them great and reliable. Nothing more to say really

How many dives per day can you get at Blue Lagoon? What is the cost difference between BL and the Odyssea?

Just be aware that the "5 dives a day" deal at the Thorfinn is a marketing trick.
The 4th dive is scheduled to leave the Thorfinn at 1700hrs local.
It gets dark at 1730hrs.
With the engines now permanently sick, you will have about 5 minutes of usable light at most after you enter the water.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Just be aware that the "5 dives a day" deal at the Thorfinn is a marketing trick.
It gets dark at 1730hrs.
With the engines now permanently sick, you will have about 5 minutes of usable light at most after you enter the water.

I don't even need to worry about this as I would never even consider booking a Thorfinn trip.

It gets dark at 1730hrs.

Really!!! You never know there is torch specially designed for scuba diving.

BTW, what happened to you after the confrontation with the Captain? Did he throw you out or what? Surely you didn't dive any more, did you? And what happened to other divers now the speed boat was out of commission?

How many dives per day can you get at Blue Lagoon? What is the cost difference between BL and the Odyssea?

You can get up to 4 dives a day if you plan it right from Blue Lagoon, but usually only 3 due to depth of dives and deco. About $45/dive at BL, Odyssea I don't know pricing.

BTW, what happened to you after the confrontation with the Captain? Did he throw you out or what? Surely you didn't dive any more, did you? And what happened to other divers now the speed boat was out of commission?

I reviewed a lot of previous posts on the Thorfinn (almost all negative excepts yours and a couple others) and you seem to be really defensive regarding the Captain and the Thorfinn operation. Do you have some type of fiduciary interest in the operation or are you just a very satisfied client?

If I understand your English properly, you saying that there are underwater torches. Using a torch to look into dark parts of the wreck during a daylight dive is different from diving on wrecks at night in total darkness. Can you tell the difference between night and day, and that most divers prefer to dive on wrecks in daylight?

Nothing happened to me after the confrontation with the captain.

He did not throw me out.

Correct, I did not dive any more after that. I lost a day of diving. The other divers decided to pile into the other dive boat with sickly engines and motor even more slowly out and back because the remaining boat was now overloaded on top of having sickly engines.

As another poster has pointed out, you seem to have strong feelings for the Thorfinn and/or Higgs. Do you have some sort of relationship with him, as was asked?

Fwiw, you actually can do 5 dives a day from the Odyssey if you want to. You dive directly from the boat, and they typically moor on one wreck for the morning and one for the afternoon and evening, and you can dive when you want to after the briefing, with or without a guide. Most of us didn't choose to do night dives but a few did. Twilight dives were cool. Since many of the wrecks are pretty deep you may not want to do 5 dives a day but it is an option.
Just offering this as a point of information, since we were there a couple weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom