SSI Class - Failed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I realize it was the shop/instructor that set up the groupon, thus he deserves what he gets, but did the guy even make minimum wage from you'all?
Seems you pretty much got what you paid for, maybe ask the online merchants where you bought the gear what their classses run...

STOP! Lets not go there. We all know an LDS/instructor is not going to get rich doing open water classes. The money is made by building a relationship between the LDS/instructor and student. It's all about repeat business. This whole thing sounds like a bait and switch. Bargain basement intro to scuba for the group. Oops, you all are performing below the OW standard an ALL of you need to pony up the cash to learn the open water skills to meet the standard. In the world I live in a bell curve exists for everything. It would be a major quirk of fate to have an outlier where 7 people failed. Time to look at the instructor's capabilities. If it were I, I'd have a prayer meeting with the LDS and demand a different instructor. Don't pay any more money. If the LDS operator doesn't meet your terms, then he/she is likely in on the scam. Dispute the credit card charge and take your business somewhere where it will be appreciated. BTW you didn't say where you were. Where are you? Come to the central Florida Gulf Coast and I'll refer you to a half a dozen LDS that will appreciate your business and welcome you with open arms. You should get that anywhere you go. If not walk out! Lots of luck.

My wife & I took private instruction through our advanced. After our instructors moved away, it took us 2 1/2 years to find a LDS where we were truly comfortable. During the LDS search, we met a bunch of really great LDS operators. We consider all of these professionals in the business as friends. I'd trade with any of them any time. Take instruction form any of them at any time at any level. We settled on a one particular LDS primarily on chemistry. We just like their style because it matches our style. Invest the time to find an LDS that matches your style. I truly hope you find a scuba home and I'm sorry you had a bad first experience. Scuba is supposed to be fun and it is!

Last edited:
STOP! Lets not go there. We all know an LDS/instructor is not going to get rich doing open water classes. The money is made by building a relationship between the LDS/instructor and student. It's all about repeat business. This whole thing sounds like a bait and switch. Bargain basement intro to scuba for the group. Oops, you all are performing below the OW standard an ALL of you need to pony up the cash to learn the open water skills to meet the standard. In the world I live in a bell curve exists for everything. It would be a major quirk of fate to have an outlier where 7 people failed. Time to look at the instructor's capabilities. If it were I, I'd have a prayer meeting with the LDS and demand a different instructor. Don't pay any more money. If the LDS operator doesn't meet your terms, then he/she is likely in on the scam. Dispute the credit card charge and take your business somewhere where it will be appreciated. BTW you didn't say where you were. Where are you? Come to the central Florida Gulf Coast and I'll refer you to a half a dozen LDS that will appreciate your business and welcome you with open arms. You should get that anywhere you go. If not walk out! Lots of luck.

The instructor for the class was the LDS operator, otherwise I would have escalated on their end. I'll be honest i dont have so much an issue with the money, I just don't want to spend the next 6 Sundays waking up early to take the class again.

be nice to hear how this ends.

maybe some one on sb knows an instructor that will finish your class for you?

i wish i could help but im in the uk.

dont give up there's a whole new world down there.

be nice to hear how this ends.

maybe some one on sb knows an instructor that will finish your class for you?

i wish i could help but im in the uk.

dont give up there's a whole new world down there.

Def. with all the support I have gotten via the forum I will keep everyone posted. Thank you.

Lead_Carrier:
it sounds to me as if the owner/instructor is saying, "I didn't make enough money so I'll charge you $50 to get back in the pool to get back up to speed."
N2DeepInAZ:
Something is definitely wrong here. . . . Just hearing an entire class 'failed' in this manner just sounds wrong on so many levels.
blue sky:
This whole thing sounds like a bait and switch.
I think that is the consensus among respondents. I have never had an entire class of OW students fail to meet requirements. It is uncommon for people to get all the way to the end of an OW course and not suceed. If a student is not ready, that is usually apparent early in Confined Water. So, as one poster suggested - either the instruction was very poor, or there is something else going on - the LDS is trying to make up for the loss leader cost by having people buy another full class, or an additional amount of 'remedial' instruction.
The instructor for the class was the LDS operator, otherwise I would have escalated on their end. I'll be honest i dont have so much an issue with the money, I just don't want to spend the next 6 Sundays waking up early to take the class again.
I will echo the recommendations of several previous posters - if you can arrange for as many members of the class as possible to contribute their names to a letter of complant to SSI, it may be useful. At the very least, it will put SSI on notice that the business practices of one of their affiliated instructors are questonable. I can't speak for SSI (I am PADI-affiliated), but I suspect they will be concerned that their image is being tarnished by what appears to be some unethical business behavior. The LDS owner knew in advance exactly what he was signing up for - if he didn't feel the compensation was sufficient to cover costs, he should not have signed up for it.

To the comments of those who question the use of Groupon or Living Social promotional campaigns in scuba instruction I would add that the problem in the situation described by the OP may be the mix of opportunities (DSD AND OW) that the shop signed up for. We recently ran a Living Social campaign for Discover Scuba Diving (PADI) ONLY - we would never run a campauign for an OW course. In the LS promotion, we sold over 440 coupons. The price of the DSD was probably at most 2/3 of the usual price, and we then split that revenue with Living Social, so the actual money coming to the shop was quite modest. But, of the 440+ coupons sold, ~250 redeemed the coupon within the designated time frame, and we are finishing up the last DSDs this week. So, there is a certain gain based on attrition - some people buy the coupon then can't schedule it, or lose interest, figuring the initial investment was small enough to write off. But, so far, our 'conversion' rate among the ~250 is good - over 30 people have already signed up for OW classes (at a slightly discounted rate). And, we anticipate that we will get some more 'conversions' within the next 30 days (when the promotion discount expires, and then some more over the summer. For us, the DSD promotion was a loss leader. The shop didn't lose money - the revenue covered the pool rental and airfills for the tanks - but all of the instructors (including the owner) did the sessions for no compensation. I did four of the ~25 sessions (28 diver participants across the four), each with at least one DSD-qualified DM and usually with two DMs (also not compensated). Some may ask, 'Why?' It helps build business for the shop, the 'conversions' - people who sign up for the OW course - are students that we are subsequently compensated for teaching, they possibly become students in AOW courses (and beyond) that we are compensated for teaching, and all are divers who may patronize the shop and add to the bottom line. But, the main reason that many of us pitched in is that it is FUN. I finished my fourth one last Friday night, and had a blast. There was one gentleman who was a bit anxious at first just breathing underwater, so I stayed with him and his girlfriend for much of the session, helping him become more comfortable, while the DM leading the session worked with the remaining four participants, and by the end of the session this gentleman was thoroughly enjoying himself. He had a great experience, I felt good about helping him, and I got to spend another hour breathing compressed air. It was a nice way to spend the evening.

Last edited:
Yea, but they always up-charge you at the last second too! :)

Love the humor! I feel at this point I am scuba forum certified. All that's left is for me to do is take the computer in the bathtub and make a couple more posts :)

---------- Post added ----------

One other question, should have maybe asked earlier. Do people practice in the pool/class room session with the dive computer? (only saw pictures of the computer in the book/video) Cause he mentioned in his earlier literature that during the cert dive he would hand them out to use.

<<take the computer in the bathtub and make a couple more posts>> yes, but remember what you were taught: get your customers to pay twice, oops, I mean, don't hold your breath under water.

No dive computer? Gee, I remember having one in the pool because it was integrated in the mount with the pressure gauge. It seems strange to wait until you're in the ocean and deal with all that before showing you how to use your computer... but I'm not sure it was required. If that's the case, no wonder people aren't familiar with the computer on their first dives.

<< divers whoring out their equipment dollars to the lowest online retailer they can find>> all together now: "But it's lifesaving gear!"

<<take the computer in the bathtub and make a couple more posts>> yes, but remember what you were taught: get your customers to pay twice, oops, I mean, don't hold your breath under water.

No dive computer? Gee, I remember having one in the pool because it was integrated in the mount with the pressure gauge. It seems strange to wait until you're in the ocean and deal with all that before showing you how to use your computer... but I'm not sure it was required. If that's the case, no wonder people aren't familiar with the computer on their first dives.

<< divers whoring out their equipment dollars to the lowest online retailer they can find>> all together now: "But it's lifesaving gear!"

I'd like to think many look for a good deal and a $139 to a non-diver seems like a lot of money already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom