SSI or IANTD Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its about taking responsability for the quality of student you certify.

When a dive opperator reads my name on the card it is one way that my reputation is developed.

I want a reputation of turning out good divers.

As a side note, I never do a Nitrox only course, I alway incorperate it with another course, and we do the skills for the other course while planning and using nitrox.

I agree that a dive is not needed for my students who have taken many course with me, and I have even done some fun dive with, as I have allready evaluated their diving skills. in that one case it would just be a matter of classroom , and paperwork

Not about covering our butt. It's about maintaining our standards and reputation.

The agencies are getting a bad enough reputation. You know because of all the lousy divers. Divers travel all over to take a DIRF so they can learn to hover (ok I know it's more than that). I am determined that my students not feel the need to do this. We instructors by default inherit enough of the agencies declining reputation. i don't like that. I'll not have some shmuck mucking up the bottom brandishing my name on his card.

The agency can determine content but it is the instructor who determins proficiency. You buy a class and when you get good enough the instructor should issue a card.

Speaking for both the PADI and the IANTD nitrox classes good buoyancy control is a requirement of the dives.

Now if SSI or whoever doesn't wish good technique to be a requirement that is up to them. Any diving related certification I issue will require the student to demonstrate that they can dive still, again, for the first time whatever. If it costs to much, if it's too hard or too inconvenient there are less demanding pass times.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Not about covering our butt. It's about maintaining our standards and reputation.

I'll not have some shmuck mucking up the bottom brandishing my name on his card.

While my statement may have been crudely put, your response confirmed my idea. You are concerned with your reputation. To me that equals covering your butt -- making sure you don't look bad. After all...that's what a reputation is! That's fine. I accept, understand, and respect that.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

While my statement may have been crudely put, your response confirmed my idea. You are concerned with your reputation. To me that equals covering your butt -- making sure you don't look bad. After all...that's what a reputation is! That's fine. I accept, understand, and respect that.

Yes but it's more than that too. It's also about providing the kind of training that we feel good about even if a student would be satisfied with less (or wouldn't know the difference).

roakey once bubbled...

You tell me, what new skills are you teaching and why in your advanced Nitrox class?

Roak
Why, not one single thing that can't be done in either the classroom or the pool... except get to depth, but then we could just simulate that, right? I mean, why bother with all that pesky boat stuff? I won't risk another "litany of 'skills'" to your abecedarian analysis of my point.
Rick

New skills in the Advanced Nitrox Course

As compared to what other course.

I feel this course is the jumping off point were you learn all the new skills involved in Tech diving

:)

SSI has a nice card for doing NITROX calculations and dive planning and an excellent video. I found both easy to use/understand. The swimming with NITROX is the same as air and there's nothing extra to learn.

Back
Top Bottom