Ssi Safety Standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your comments. I have a thick skin and hope you do as well if I push back at your comments and not the person. Therefore with respect....

I have a background in developing standards for a global professional organization with the goal that quality can be predictably delivered when standards are followed. I have a PhD in areas related to management and training. I have taught courses in risk management and contract law. I have published related research. It is from these perspectives that I believe risk prevention is far better than dealing with a realized risk especially if the consequences can be dire as they are in diving. And yes, I agree with those who contend that the individual diver is ultimately responsible for their own safety. I dive with this truism in mind. That is why is cut my diving vacation short because my safety was my responsibility.

That said, is it not far better for both the dive operator and the divers to be focused on safety? Indeed, from the SSI standard "3. Be a diving role model on all dives, practicing and promoting safe diving..." I would conclude that SSI advocates the Dive Master to focus on safety regardless of individual diver responsibility. That is, SSI would recommend that the Dive Master not just meet minimum safety standards rather, be a role model. Role models are not those who meet minimum standards; role models exceed through exemplary behavior. I do not think anyone here is arguing against the SSI standard #3 and that a line is drawn according to responsibility? SSI is a leader in the dive industry and I have no issues with this organization or their standards; my issue is with a dive operator who is affiliated with SSI and behaves contrary to SSI standards and generally accepted safety guidelines. This dive operator did not behave as a role model regarding safety.

And about the list... this is my list of best practices that I propose would be applicable to most guided diving most of the time. This list is influenced by PADI and BSAC guidelines, Simon Pridmore ("Scuba Confidential"), DIR and the practices of award winning dive operators. Is there anything on the list that if followed, would not make the dive more safe if these safety practices were planned for? If you were a business owner of a dive operation, would you not want to have a comprehensive list that was routinely followed by your Dive Masters? Would you not agree that as the business owner having your Dive Masters follow a comprehensive list would reduce risk and litigation if regularly followed?

I have seen exemplary dive operations with a safety focus at both Simple Life Diving (Koh Tao) and Camel Diving (Sharm) and in both cases, the diving went more smoothly, and the time taken to follow safe practices was not excessive. Dive Masters at both of these companies followed safety and dive briefing scripts. These two companies were role models and "vacation divers" had the opportunity to not only enjoy their dives, but had more confidence in the competence of the Dive Masters. Both companies have been given favorable reviews and have a high quantity of repeat clients. These two operators successfully put theory into practice. The benefit to the Dive Master is that they knew that by following their comprehensive checklist, that they have minimized risks and were more likely to have a safe dive with clients they likely have never dived with before. Win-win I would think.

The point was also made above about discussing safety issues with the dive operator. I did raise my concerns with two of the Dive Masters. However, it was the manager most flagrantly violated these safety guidelines and I only did my final dive with him. He came across as arrogant and narcissistic; indeed, one of the Dive Masters told me that he has a bit of a personality problem that comes out with both clients and his staff. The manager was not approachable so I did not discuss my concerns with him. I did raise my concerns with two dive masters and the boat captain.

Safe diving does not just happen; safe diving needs to be planned for by both the dive operator and client. Again, I agree that each diver is individually responsible for their own safety. This post is not about dividing responsibilities. This post is about a dive operator that did not behave according to SSI Standards #2-4 (p. 31).

Thank you for your comments, keeping this discourse civil and agreeing to disagree if you wish.

Respectfully,

GJS

I take it you did not research this dive OP before your trip? You could have saved your self time and money by doing so.

I take it you did not research this dive OP before your trip? QUOTE]

What makes you say that? My background is in research and analysis (PM for more details and list of publications). Here is what I did to gather information:

Summer 2015 - Dive center and sites investigated (Trip Advisor, Scubaboard and other sites used to gather information)
August 2015 - Flights, hotel and diving booked
December 2015 - Change in dive center ownership and personnel
January 2016 - Confirmed booking; no dive center reviews
January 29, 2016 - One and the only dive center review found. The dive center caters mostly to German speaking clients which is why my English language based searches found little about the dive center.
March 2016 - Dive holiday

I would prefer to keep this on topic please.

Respectfully

GJS

I certainly agree with you that safe practices in diving are paramount and that standards, written or generally acknowledged and accepted by the diving community, are very important.

Where I disagree is with whom the responsibility for "application" of these standards resides. As a certified diver I have a shared responsibility with the dive operator for my safety.

In my opinion the dive operator is responsible to:
  1. Get me safely to the dive site and back to port.
  2. Provide me with "full" tanks in good working condition.
  3. Provide a qualified dive master who is familiar enough with the site to act as a guide throughout the dive AND conforms to industry accepted safety standards in regards to her/his personal diving conduct.
  4. Communicate information to me about the dive site, conduct of the dive, etc
Everything else is my responsibility.

Funny what people consider necessary from a dive op.
I expect
1. The skipper to get me to and from the wreck.
2. Shot the wreck, not HMS Seabed.
3. Hit slack tide.
4. Coffee and tea! Pasties are a bonus.
5. O2/other safety equipment on board. Site briefing is a bonus, but generally speaking, I do my research.

There are no DMs, you bring all your own kit, set it up, etc. Boat crew will generally grab your blob from you as you near the boat.

And then there are things that some divers don't want from a dive op

Some do not want the dive op (or anyone else ) to touch their gear including their tank knob.

Some prefer no dive guide. Other will accept a guide as long as there is no leash.

I would probably not be a customer of the kind of dive op you seem to be looking for.

the most recent comments certainly show the differences in opinion depending on what type of diving the person typically does. a lot of divers are familiar with paying simply for a seat on a charter boat that basically gets them a ride to the site. while others have only been exposed to diving in a typical vacation destination where dive ops are expected to provide everything from carrying and assembling your gear for you to maybe even serving you a hot lunch between dives. there is a wide range of what is offered and what is expected. my preference falls somewhere in between the two.
maybe the lesson here is to talk with the staff before diving to see if what they provide is what you expect. if not, go somewhere else.
i can def say that although i think the list originally posted is a very comprehensive guideline, i personally have never had any dive op meet all that criteria.

Funny what people consider necessary from a dive op.
I expect
1. The skipper to get me to and from the wreck.
2. Shot the wreck, not HMS Seabed.
3. Hit slack tide.
4. Coffee and tea! Pasties are a bonus.
5. O2/other safety equipment on board. Site briefing is a bonus, but generally speaking, I do my research.

There are no DMs, you bring all your own kit, set it up, etc. Boat crew will generally grab your blob from you as you near the boat.
And that's all we get in the UK, but then charters are just the taxi to/from the dive site. There is one here in Scotland I wont use as they don't do 3 very well.

Back
Top Bottom