Ssi vs padi enriched air course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Sddiver44

Sddiver44

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m looking at getting enriched air for a upcoming trip. It looks like Ssi can all be done online while padi cannot, is this correct? Any reason to not do Ssi? If it matters I am padi advanced open water certified.

Well that's pretty sad.

What happen to people actually learning and not agencies just collecting money the quickest way possible.
I think a lot of people learn a lot in these classes. I can learn quite a bit in a half day of learning. Why are you assuming that people do it for a plastic card? I am sure some do, but it is a dangerous generalization. BTW, out of all the cards, in my experience, Nitrox is the one that gets asked for more consistently.

I’m looking at getting enriched air for a upcoming trip. It looks like Ssi can all be done online while padi cannot, is this correct? Any reason to not do Ssi? If it matters I am padi advanced open water certified.
Which do you prefer?

Nitrox, at the basic recreational level, isn't particularly difficult nor taxing hence the lukewarm response here. Not even sure there's any in-water time.

There's some bookwork to learn the principles -- e-learning, PDF or printed paper -- and some practical such as measuring your gas oxygen levels.

If you're PADI then do the PADI course as it may count to your 5 star "I've done 5 speciality courses" badge if you care for that kind of thing. If SSI's cheaper, do that.

I don’t know if I have a different version of standards but supposedly on-line is the most current…
I am not arguing against the most comprehensive curriculum, but outside of knowing how to callibrate and use O2 concentration tester, what advantage does in-person training has over on-line? I am really asking for an opinion,and not rhetorically so. Personally, I have taken all my specialties always in person. However, I don’t see a problem with someone doing Nitrox or Science of Diving remotely.
Interesting. Where is your jpg from? What I posted is from the SSI "MySSI" website, as the curent standards. I pulled out the relevant standards from the full publication. my.DiveSSI.com

I don’t know if I have a different version of standards but supposedly on-line is the most current…
I am not arguing against the most comprehensive curriculum, but outside of knowing how to callibrate and use O2 concentration tester, what advantage does in-person training has over on-line? I am really asking for an opinion,and not rhetorically so. Personally, I have taken all my specialties always in person. However, I don’t see a problem with someone doing Nitrox or Science of Diving remotely.

Some instructors are still old school and don’t like eLearning. I’ve seen multiple instructors here post that they like eLearning as it makes sure students have done their bookwork before class review session. Can’t be so sure of that with an in person class. Plus the instructors can see what students may have had issues with and can focus on those bits.

Regardless of eLearning or fully in person, there still has to be a hands on session for learning to analyze your tanks. That has to be done in person. I’ve seen people who can’t figure out the right end of an analyzer. That in person analyzing how to session is absolutely necessary.

I am not arguing against the most comprehensive curriculum, but outside of knowing how to callibrate and use O2 concentration tester, what advantage does in-person training has over on-line? I am really asking for an opinion,and not rhetorically so.
That's pretty much it. Unlike most other specialties, there aren't really any dive related skills with the EAN course. The differences in the dive are primarily in the planning phase. Either consulting a table, or changing a setting in a computer. Calculating MOD can be done on-line or in person, and I don't really see an advantage either way. Other than some people learn better one way or the other.

I took EAN in person, but that was back in 2003 or so. IIRC, e-learning for Scuba specialties wasn't really a thing then.

If I were to take it today, I think I would prefer to do it online. Not from a learning perspective, but some of the other students were downright frightening. A good portion of the class was taken up by the instructor answering questions of a few of the students that had nothing to do with EAN. They were basic elements of OW, and I couldn't understand how someone could have an OW cert without understanding these concepts.

Interesting. Where is your jpg from? What I posted is from the SSI "MySSI" website, as the curent standards. I pulled out the relevant standards from the full publication. my.DiveSSI.com
Mine came from SSI app.
Frankly, I am not sure why they are making distinction between Nitrox <32 and Nitrox <40. Also I am not aware of anyone who teaches Level I, and all Level II require a hands on session.

Mine came from SSI app.
Frankly, I am not sure why they are making distinction between Nitrox <32 and Nitrox <40. Also I am not aware of anyone who teaches Level I, and all Level II require a hands on session.
My goodness. I just looked at the website of two local SSI shops. They both say:
Have you ever dreamed of having longer no-decompression limits to take pictures or explore a wreck? Did you ever want to be safer while diving concerning the potential risk of decompression sickness?
Nitrox is the key. Due to the reduced fraction of nitrogen in your breathing gas, your body will have less work and the desaturation times will be reduced.
Whoa! I marked part of that in red.....not sure I want these guys teaching Nitrox at any percentage! Since they posted identical info, I assume that is boiler plate from SSI. Thumbs down.

My goodness. I just looked at the website of two local SSI shops. They both say:
Have you ever dreamed of having longer no-decompression limits to take pictures or explore a wreck? Did you ever want to be safer while diving concerning the potential risk of decompression sickness?
Nitrox is the key. Due to the reduced fraction of nitrogen in your breathing gas, your body will have less work and the desaturation times will be reduced.
Whoa! I marked part of that in red.....not sure I want these guys teaching Nitrox at any percentage! Since they posted identical info, I assume that is boiler plate from SSI. Thumbs down.
I just pasted the last sentence into google and got a long list of SSI shops saying the same thing.

SSI Instructor here.... SSI requires one class session in addition to the online learning module. Of course the class session reviews the online material and ensures an understanding of the online work and there is a practical portion where we teach how to use at least two types of analyzers.

For what it's worth, my shop's wording for the class is, "Learn about the advantages of Nitrox, how to use the Nitrox dive tables to allow you to have shorter surface intervals because of the reduced fraction of nitrogen in your breathing gas." :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom