Ssi vs padi enriched air course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Sddiver44

Sddiver44

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m looking at getting enriched air for a upcoming trip. It looks like Ssi can all be done online while padi cannot, is this correct? Any reason to not do Ssi? If it matters I am padi advanced open water certified.

No reputable nitrox class will be all online. You will have eLearning. Then you go to the dive shop for review and hands on learning to analyze.

Maybe the PADI shop does classroom rather than eLearning.

PADI or SSI probably very very similar.

No reputable nitrox class will be all online. You will have eLearning. Then you go to the dive shop for review and hands on learning to analyze.

Maybe the PADI shop does classroom rather than eLearning.

PADI or SSI probably very very similar.
Yes padi does e learning then they say half a day, not sure if it’s actually half a day or just like an hour.

SSI has two levels of Nitrox cert. Level 1 does not have a practical and will give you a cert up to 32%. (I am not sure if anyone offers it, but it is not inconceivable that it can be done on line or via zoom). Level II (up to 40%) will require a practical portion for in-class activity.

If the charter is associated with an agency, it's likely you can do eLearning (with that same agency, of course) then the review & practical on the boat ride to the first dive. Talk to the shop about options.

Level 1 does not have a practical
Level 1 DOES have a practical segment, according to the standards, attached.

Attachments

• SSI_STANDARDS-SCUBA_English-Imperial_IM_Enriched Air.pdf
    46.3 KB · Views: 91
No reputable nitrox class will be all online.

Spot on!!

Do you self and favor and don't pick a class based on price, agency, or how easy it is to do online pick it based on the curriculum and time a real person with experience teaches you. The whole point is for you to actually learn something that is what your paying for. If you going to pay for a service then you should be getting something for it. If you just want to sit in front of a computer for half a day to collect a plastic card that says your a Nitrox diver then you just cheating yourself.

There is sooooooo much more to enriched air diving than what is covered in a simple PADI/SSI course especially if its all online now.

Level 1 DOES have a practical segment, according to the standards, attached.
I don’t know if I have a different version of standards but supposedly on-line is the most current…
I am not arguing against the most comprehensive curriculum, but outside of knowing how to callibrate and use O2 concentration tester, what advantage does in-person training has over on-line? I am really asking for an opinion,and not rhetorically so. Personally, I have taken all my specialties always in person. However, I don’t see a problem with someone doing Nitrox or Science of Diving remotely.

Attachments

• 6230387C-C2F5-4F13-99A8-4B0FF4A5F8C1.jpeg
    6230387C-C2F5-4F13-99A8-4B0FF4A5F8C1.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 71

Back
Top Bottom