St. Croix 2018 - Trip Report and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great report and video. What camera setup were you using?
Thanks!

I used a Lumix LX10 in a Nauticam housing with 2 x 2.5K Sea Dragon lights. It's my second trip with the new rig, and though I'm generally 'pleased', I always say I should start a blog titled My Never-ending Search for the Perfect Underwater Video Camera...

Last edited:
I think St. Croix's offering would appeal to a lot of people, if they knew it better.
Exactly that.

I can imagine St. Croix (and especially Frederiksted) being the exact opposite of what some people would want for their dive vacation. For others, the not-so-touristy feel is what would be appealing.

But that's what makes scubaboard so helpful, so let's all keep the trip reports, comments, photos, and videos coming. I know that in the past year there have been several of us here who have received lots of help planning our trips to St. Croix on the info we found on this forum. Much thanks to @drrich2, @TN Traveler and the other helpful members here in the Lesser Antilles section.

Last edited:
Video of CS and FS would be useful. People seldom video the land based stuff (mea culpa) and only show us beneath the sea.

What is the infratructure like? Are there signs of damage everywhere or is it largely cleaned up?

There is still damage to lots of properties on the West End which was hit much harder by Maria. As far as infrastructure - the power is restored except to those structures that do not meet the requirements. Actually, when I was last there in April - they had done a lot of repairs to the roads and all the old, subcompact eating potholes were gone (there were still a few tire eaters).

Choiahoy - thanks for a great write up - I think you did a great job of capturing what St Croix is about. Just got back from your neck of the woods last week - and I have to say that I prefer St Croix's laid back life to the hustle and bustle of NYC (I grew up in NYC and a week there is all I can handle anymore; but 4 weeks in St Croix is not enough :D ).

Nice report - great video! You've captured a great sampling of the sealife on my favorite diving island. Learned something new from your report about diving for Chaney outside the fort. Will have to give it a try if I ever get back.

Edit: Meant to add that, yes, you must go back and dive the wrecks. They're pretty easy and fun dives.

Last edited:
Some diving highlights were the sharks and a manta at Cane Bay, along with a baby batfish and four seahorses at the pier.

Forgot to say in my last post....I can’t believe you got to see a Manta. Awesome.

Forgot to say in my last post....I can’t believe you got to see a Manta. Awesome.
The manta sighting was unexpected and awesome. But the buzz going around the island a few weeks back was the sighting of...a MANATEE! No joke. I met two locals and spoke to a dive shop, all who claimed to have seen it in May when diving near the pier.

Two Manatee Lost in St. Croix Waters | St. John Source

Last edited:
The manta sighting was unexpected and awesome. But the buzz going around the island a few weeks back was the sighting of...a MANATEE! No joke. I met two locals and spoke to a dive shop, all who claimed to have seen it in May when diving near the pier.

Two Manatee Lost in St. Croix Waters | St. John Source

Oh wow. Thanks for the link. I’m very interested to hear if they’re able to locate the 2 manatees. I tried to scope around on Facebook and see if I could follow a story somewhere. Let me know if you hear anything please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom