St. Croix crime

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timmyk

Registered
Reaction score
Trip advisor had several posts of crime on St. Croix.....anybody have any problems or have any tips? We like to explore and will stay out of towns at night

One of the crewmembers on a research ship I was on had two locals try to hold him up with a machete, when he returned to the ship, at the fredrichstead pier, in the wee hours of the morning. He was a pretty crazy drunk and took the machete off the guy. There was an investigation.

To balance it out, we were there for about a month with scientists and crew hitting the bars and this was the only incident.

st croix is extremely safe. it is much like any other city, there's areas where you def should not go....the good news is, you know EXACTLY when you're in one of those areas. most of the crime here is all inter-gang related, there are very few incidents when tourists are affected. the main town, christiansted, is very safe. there have been a couple of bars that have gotten robbed in the last year or so, however most of them have been outside of town, and nobody was harmed.

the only other crime to be concerned about is if you leave your rental jeep along the side of the road near a remote beach or in the ghetto with your wallet, cell phone, GPS and MP3 player in plain sight, they most definitely will be gone when you return. the general policy here is leave your car unlocked, and take everything with you. if the doors are locked, they will think there's something worth busting your windows out for in there.

hope this helps, if you would like any other information about the island, please feel free to PM me!

As kierentec said, you know when you're in a bad area wherever you may be. If you leave your camcorder on the front seat of your rental jeep while snorkeling at a remote beach there's a very good chance it'll be on eBay later that day. I just returned from a trip to Rome and guess what, if I had left my camera on the front seat of a rental car when I was visiting the Vatican it would have been gone. (OK I'm really not crazy enough to rent a car and try to drive in Rome but you get my point).

Crime on St. Croix, as with almost everywhere in the world, is up. But, again as kierentec said, it almost never involves tourists and even less often tourists who aren't highly inebriated and wandering around late at night.

As kierentec said, you know when you're in a bad area wherever you may be. If you leave your camcorder on the front seat of your rental jeep while snorkeling at a remote beach there's a very good chance it'll be on eBay later that day.

And if you do leave things in sight unattended and they disappear, it isn't so much theft as it is a donation...:D

The responders are right. Use common sense and you'll be better off no matter where you go.

DS

went there several times. never had an issue. same as said in posts before: use common sense.

My wife and I had a great time diving St Croix with out any issues :D

Well, thanks everybody. That's about what I figured!

I was always told not to go to isolated beaches alone (or with only with other person) in St Croix. I never did, so not sure if that was good advice or overkill. My knowledge may be out of date though - I last visited St Croix in about 1991.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom