St. John, US Virgin Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tekk Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm currently "in the process of" taking a job on St. John USVI at Cruz Bay. Can anyone give me some real-world information about the island??...ie: cost of living, places to live, things to be wary of..etc..etc.

Let me know something.

check with Scuba Vixan. She lives on STX and could probably point you in the right direction or could hook you up with someone.

I have not lived on St. John (someday hopefully!), so I don't have much to say from that perspective, but we have vacationed there the past 4 years and I can tell you that everything is expensive there. The locals that we've talked with take the car ferry to St. Thomas to do their shopping, and many of them choose to live on St. Thomas as well... the passenger ferry runs every hour and is pretty reliable, only takes 20 minutes from Red Hook STT to Cruz Bay STJ.

Where will you be working, at Cruz Bay Watersports or Low Key Watersports perhaps?? We don't have much experience with Cruz Bay Watersports, but the folks who work at Low Key are a blast. They're always hanging around the Beach Bar, one of our favorite watering holes.

I was there about 3yrs ago and was not very impressed with the diving. Did have fun driving to the east end to check out "skinny legs".
Al

ScubaAl:
I was there about 3yrs ago and was not very impressed with the diving. Did have fun driving to the east end to check out "skinny legs".
Al
Welcome to Scubaboard!

Is that it's a dive job in the caribbean...

Unless some one has roots here, or some vested interest, (ie: proprietary interest in a shop) ..... There's an incredible burn out factor involved with babysitting what amout to *mediocre at best* tourist divers day in and day out, at the same weenie dive sites day in and day out. I've seen a lot of turnover at the dive shops here on St Croix, it's part of life. The first year is fun and new, but getting tiresome, by the second or third year, many are looking for someplace else, or just ready to get out of diving as a living entirely.

St Johns is beautifull, it's made for tourists, and caters to the tourist dollars. Finding affordable living there on dive bum salary is going to be interesting, lol .... Why should some guy rent you a 1 room hovel for $600 a month, when he can get $600 plus a Week from tourists. Local affordable housing is a big problem. Many who work there commute by ferry from St Thomas. If you're a chain smoking alcoholic, you can do ok, if you like to eat decently, food is outrageously expensive. (cigs and alcohol are quite cheap) The main area of Cruz Bay is where the ferries dock and everything centers from there, it's a happening place, it's almost like "spring break" all the time. Lotsa little bars and sidewalk joints and places to hang out.

I like to visit there when we sail over, anchor in the harbor and get to be almost like tourists, but I'm not too keen on the thought of living or working there. As for diving there, I guess the fact that I've never bothered to spend the $$ to go do it tells you that it's nothing special .... just more warm water and good vis, with decent reefs and some pretty fishies.... but no wall dives like here.

Overall, if you're a young guy with no real responsibilities yet, it'd be a blast, .... otherwise, ya gotta ask yourself, "Why are there always so many caribbean job openings if they are all so wonderfull as they are made out to be"

Anyway, just some random thoughts on St Johns,

Darlene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom