St Kitts Trip Report 2/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irie1029

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am not joe experienced diver have 35 dives most all in Curacao and Aruba so take my comments as such. Spent 10 glorious days in St Kitts. People on this Island are the friendliest. We stayed at the Marriott villas dove with ProDivers. Auston. We did 8 dives all of them were really fabulous. There were maybe 8 total divers on the boat per average dive including me and my wife we all had plenty of room and it was very calm pace. Everyone dove at their own pace and came back as they needed to. Each site was different. From wrecks to reefs to wrecks on a reef. The dives on Monkey Shoals were probably the best. Auston determines where to dive based on the conditions and what the divrs want..

The water was 74 or 75 awesome viz was on avg 75 feet +. 3mil full was fine for me. We saw rays, turtle, shark, morey eel, puffer fish, many lobster and as I prefer little stuff and there was an abundance of sponges, corals, and critters Typically the first dives were to about 70 feet and second 50 I really like the mix of dives and the pace. Everyone is given a computer (I used my own) to help manage their dive. Pretty smart if you think about it. I could not have had a better time diving as you dive to your skill level. As a side note Jerome was the deck hand and he was great at helping with the gear.

Topside (we prefer off resort) and ate at Buddies the first and last night with awesome BBQ ribs.. tell me you found better ribs and you are lying. Mr X Shiggidy Shack had ÅÚummy lobsta (my wife is from Cape Cod) Fire man on Thursday at Shiggidy is not to be missed. PJÃÔ Italian was really good as well.... I had Pizza with ravioli appetizer wife had Chicken Parm and really liked it. Rock Lobster was ok not great Serendipity was recommended but wow very expensive for the value. The best of the trip was Valerie at Marriott Cigar Bar for our nightly night cap. It was the most relaxing and enjoyable bar I ever enjoyed she really does a great job making you feel at home. If you have further questions PM me. Yeah we are going back. But not through Miami!!

Great trip report! You are spot on about the food. Buddies was where we ate about 4 nights a week when we lived there. Rock Lobster and Serendipity are tourist traps.

Monkey Shoals is one of the best sites. Really shallow but amazing clarity no matter what's going on weather wise. It's the best place to find sea horses and certain types of groupers. Also, a really great boat ride with great views of Nevis.

So glad you liked the island. Next time, stay somewhere else than the Marriott. You can get great rooms elsewhere for a fraction of the price. The food sux at the Marriott anyway. Also, next time try Kenneth Dive or Dive St. Kitts. Both great shops - each has its fave sites and each has something excellent to recommend it.

So glad you had a good time on the island!

Thanks for a trip report from a destination that is very often overlooked. What did you think of the diving as compared to Curacao?

Monkey shoals was honestly the best viz of any of my 30+ dives. I am into small stuff and searching out critters under ledges by "standing on my head" weightless hovering upside down so if you dove it you know why it is awesome for that. No surge to speak of so kind of miss that as curacao more shore and some surge making you feel one with the universe... :dork2:
Prodivers set a high benchmark but certainly will try others next year. Due to points Marriott is free :) I agree sully The key is getting a rental car and USE local Bullseye they are freaking great - hassel free - quick and inexpensive (hard to believe).... if you plan on going to Nevis or even think you might they are the only rental that will let you. The ferry ride is not to be missed.

Most importantly People on St Kitts are just plain awesome.. :D

Did you see the Flying Gunnard at Monkey Shoals? My wife and I were in St. Kitts and Nevis just a couple of weeks ago. I still have to get around to writing a report. We dived with Scuba Safaris (www.scubanevis.com). Great outfit.

flyinggunnardweb.jpg

Awesome pic!

Awesome pic!

Thank you, it was quite a sighting. My wife should actually be credited for the photo. Another diver shot a nice video of the dive which I am slowly working on converting to a web friendly format.

Agiulfo,
Great flying gunnard photo! I've seen them at Monkey Shoals before, and there used to be tons at Majors Bay, but now with the development.... :( Also have seen them frequently at the Wreck of the Talata.

Irie,
About Bullseye Rental - when friends would come to visit, we always rented with Hertz or TDC, and no problem going to Nevis, so maybe that's a new thing that's changed since we've left. Certainly, though, the car ferry people aren't enforcing it. The way they pack the cars on that thing, though, it's a wonder not everyone forbids their rentals on it! :)

And if the Marriott is free for you, you certainly can't beat that!

I recommend Dive St Kitts if you have the chance to go back. The crew is a rad lot, but if you get on the Cap't's bad side you might owe him a brew.

Back
Top Bottom