St. Lawrence + 7mm wetsuit = how long a season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air_Miser

Reaction score
Ok,

So this is my first season diving, and the equipment piggy bank had enough in it to get me fully geared, but not enough for a drysuit this year!

Just wondering around when you other wetsuit divers call it a season? Halloween?......Rememberance Day?.....

Let the bragging begin :) .....

Matt

That will vary from person to person. For my wife, usually by the end of October. For me, when the water gets hard. I did a dive on the Morrison in Lake Simcoe Dec. 22/02 water was 41F, air about 5C and Coploy's Bay near Wiarton Jan. 1/03 water was 38F and air was -6C with strong winds. On the Morrison we undressed in my van after the dive (dressed ofr it outside), Jan. 1 was a group event and there was a tent with heaters which kept it about +12C
Sorry for the mixed temps (C&F). My dive gear all Imperial, while my vehicle thermometer is C.
Both dives were in a 7mm Bre Extreme (one piece). I;ve since bought a sleeveless jacket and have had it down to 42F, worth the extra. I find the one piece itself fine down to the low 50's, but cool below that. I find the one piece with a hooded sleeveless vest warmer than the john/jacket combo I started with.

I've been diving for a couple of years and have never owned or wore a drysuit. I have a icediver cert. found a two piece 7mm fine.

OK OK more than a couple of years but when I remember how long, I remember I'm a old fart :doctor:

My wetsuit dive season will come to an end when my drysuit gets finished being repaired. Currently I use a 7mm farmer john/jacket and a 3mm shorty on top of that. 5ml hood and 5ml gloves. and I am warm. I could probably go until the water was high 50's. but it is a personal comfort issue. If you are not comfortable half way through your dive then your safety could be compromised. Doing an accellerated ascent / shorter stops because you are cold and want out is not an option in my opinion.

Art

There is a wetsuit season on the St Lawrence?

If your a cold blooded masochist you can dive wet year round.
If you like being warm, get a dry suit.

You realy just don't realise how cold you are in a wetsuit untill you have tried it dry.

JimC once bubbled...
There is a wetsuit season on the St Lawrence?

If your a cold blooded masochist you can dive wet year round.
If you like being warm, get a dry suit.

You realy just don't realise how cold you are in a wetsuit untill you have tried it dry.

LOL! Strong language from a recent convert!:D But I second the notion - my last wetsuit dive in the St.Lawrence was a year or two ago, in mid-August and only to remember what it felt like. Wetsuits are for Bonaire:mean:

Shush up about Bonair already!

*looks over his shoulder for the angry, Bonair-less, wife*

My first season diving I dove all winter in 7MM suit, one piece. I had a hooded vest that really helped. After that winter I purchased a drysuit and now I no longer own a wetsuit.

A couple of tips that might help to keep you warm all through the winter.

1 - Bring Hot water in a thermos to help pre heat the suit and warm your hands.

2 - Use duct tape around your legs and wrists. People may make fun of you for this.

3 - Hitch a ride to the dive site with someone who owns a Van. This way you can have someon stay topside and keep the changeroom (Van) warm while you dive.

4 - Only do one dive and get the suit off asap upon surfacing.

5 - Think about how much you actually plan to dive in the winter. Perhaps you could take a drysuit course and rent one for the few times you will dive in the winter.

Hope it helps.

DPV

divedude once bubbled...
I've been diving for a couple of years and have never owned or wore a drysuit. I have a icediver cert. found a two piece 7mm fine.

OK OK more than a couple of years but when I remember how long, I remember I'm a old fart :doctor:

I wear my 7mm wetsuit and 3mm hooded vest and enjoy diving right up to and including New Years Day. Thankfully the hot tub is close by after those dives.

Back
Top Bottom