St. Lawrence charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okay, but as a US citizendiving the keystorm or the american or the vickrey you can do it from the us side. Finger Lakes Scuba - Contact Information

These guy's have only started this past year, just trying to drum up some business for them.

Of course if you were to dive the Gaskin and others on that side of the river you would go through customs at Boldt Castle.

I am not arguing with you, just pointing out the other options.

There is great diving on both sides of the river, the OP needs to do some research and figure what they want to dive

okay, but as a US citizendiving the keystorm or the american or the vickrey you can do it from the us side. Finger Lakes Scuba - Contact Information

These guy's have only started this past year, just trying to drum up some business for them.

Of course if you were to dive the Gaskin and others on that side of the river you would go through customs at Boldt Castle.

I am not arguing with you, just pointing out the other options.

There is great diving on both sides of the river, the OP needs to do some research and figure what they want to dive

No arguing from my side of the border also :D

I was only saying that if the OP choose to dive wrecks on the US side, He probably should dive from the US so he can save all the custom hassle at Boldt Castle, altough it's not as bad as it used to be.

I'm sure there are fine operators on each side. And as you said, knowing what and where he wants to dive will help the OP decide from which side he wants to depart.

Thanks everyone.

As far as where to dive I really don't know. Never been up there and don't know the area. When I think of the St. Lawrence I don't really think of it as different area's, even though I know it's a big area, I think of it as one place. Looking for some good wrecks in rec diving limits. This will be a mixed group of divers. Some with AOW and a limited experience wreck diving and some with cave/wreck penetration experience.

Not looking for any tec. diving just some good fun wrecks everyone can enjoy.

Thanks everyone.

As far as where to dive I really don't know. Never been up there and don't know the area. When I think of the St. Lawrence I don't really think of it as different area's, even though I know it's a big area, I think of it as one place. Looking for some good wrecks in rec diving limits. This will be a mixed group of divers. Some with AOW and a limited experience wreck diving and some with cave/wreck penetration experience.

Not looking for any tec. diving just some good fun wrecks everyone can enjoy.

Snowmaker,

There are literally hundreds of wrecks in Lake Ontario/St. Lawrence River area. The more you are in the lake, the colder it gets. The more you are in the river, the more current you might have to deal with. If you go to Ontario Underwater Council there is a 'wreck directory' on the main page. Look for the Powered by Google. This page is a Google Earth KMZ file. You can get Google Earth from one link on the page and the KMZ file. When you open the KMZ file in Google Earth you can zoom in on various dive locations. Each location will have a 'pin'. Click on the pin and it will tell you about the wreck and what its depth is. It is a really great resource for diving in the area.

If you are staying on the American side of the St. Lawrence, search for Clayton or Alexandria Bay. There are some good dive sites listed between these two points.

Most wrecks are going to be 80' or deeper. Anything around 60' or shallower would either be a navigation hazard (so they would be moved) or close enough to the surface that weather would have destroyed it. There is still a lot between 80' and 130'. I usually dive stuff around 100' and have plenty of time to get down, circle the wreck twice, safety stop and end the dive.

Darrell

Which side should we dive from. US or Canada. We are in the US. Is there a cost difference.

It will depend on the currency exchange rate. Last year, a two tank, weekend walk on charter was in the range of 65$ to $75 Canadian dollars. I'm not sure what an equivalent American based charter cost.

If the exchange rate is $1US=$1.2CDN, it will probably be cheaper to dive from a Canadian based organization. If its the other way, then its probably cheaper to use a US based charter.

Seeway Vision Dive Charters is the operation our club has used the last couple of years on our annual trip to Brockville. We are VERY pleased with the operation. Everything from the boat to the captain and crew. Ideal for a group of 15 divers. Check out his web site. The owners are Kevin and Edie. The site says they operate 3 boats but our group is usually large and we allways use the big one. Regardless of who you choose, I hope you enjoy the trip.

I dove with them 3 times this year and plan to dive with them all next year. Great crew, fountain of knowledge and very professional

As far as the border corossings go, if you are diving with a charter operator such as wayne green or Jeff Pose then it is a moot point. (I've never chartered from the US side) These guys have thier customs procedures streamlined so that typically you are in and out in as much time as it takes to don a drysuit. Its just another part of thier job and they are pro's at it. We cross the border almost every weekend in the fall to dive the Jodry with one of these charters and theres never any hassle at the border. They have it set up so that any problems with passports etc., are known about before you even load the boat. Dont sweat it, just go dive.

Snowmaker,

Most wrecks are going to be 80' or deeper. Anything around 60' or shallower would either be a navigation hazard (so they would be moved) or close enough to the surface that weather would have destroyed it. There is still a lot between 80' and 130'. I usually dive stuff around 100' and have plenty of time to get down, circle the wreck twice, safety stop and end the dive.

Darrell
In Kingston Ontario we have 8 great wrecks at less than 80 feet.
Best for novice divers is Wolfe Islander starts at 35' It's also the best for advanced wreck divers as it is in 80' with lots of pentration areas
Check out the other seven on my webpage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom