St. Lawrence Seaway October 2009-- Jodrey/King Horn/Keystorm Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just returned from a great trip to the Thousand Islands region of the St. Lawrence Seaway with Olympus Dive Center (Olympus Dive Center). It was a combination technical and recreational trip. We had 15 divers -- 11 technical (four of which were on rebreathers) and 4 recreational.

For the technical crowd, we dove the Jodrey each morning and then a different wreck each afternoon. Justin (Lakelanddiver1978) and I were on Kiss units while Bob (eanxdiver) and Amy ("Mrs. eanxdiver") were on rEvos.

The Jodrey is a 640 foot lake freighter built in 1965 that hit a shoal in the river and sank near the US Coast Guard station on Wellesley Island in 1974. She sits in about 240 ffw right up against the wall. The wheelhouse is at about 150 ffw and she sits with a list to starboard. Since it is so close to shore you can suit up and then do your final checks standing in 5 feet of water and then drop right over the wall to the wreck. After you've finished you bottom time you simply do your deco up the wall. We were doing 30 min bottom times with run times of about 80-90 minutes in the 57-58 degree water which got a little chilly by the end of the dive for this Florida warm water wimp.

The afternoons were spent on shallower wrecks in the 80-110 foot range. I especially enjoyed the Keystorm which has its bow in 20 ffw and the stern in 110 ffw with lots of swim throughs. It also lists to starboard so that the interesting parts of the wreck are also out of the current.

Here are some photos:

Jodrey
img_4040a.jpg

img_4008a.jpg

img_3999a.jpg

img_3998a.jpg

Keystorm

img_4034a.jpg

img_4031a.jpg

King Horn

img_3934a.jpg

img_3938a.jpg

Nice shots. See any fish at all?

Cool stuff!

Welcome to the St Lawrence. So many wrecks, so little time!

Sorry about the cold water though. :D

Great photos!

Wow. When we dove the Keystorm last month our vis wasn't that good. I was dying to get some shots like you did. Good job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom