St. Petersburg woman disappears while lobster fishing in Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moab

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
St. Petersburg woman disappears while lobster fishing in Florida Keys

Jamie Greene's diving mask had fogged up in the murky 20-foot waters just north of Big Pine Key. He looked to his wife and pointed to the surface.

Okay, she signed back.

As Greene pulled himself aboard the small fishing boat in the Florida Keys, he saw his wife break the surface about 50 yards away. She appeared panicked.

"Help! Air!'' she called out.

He tugged on the air hose that connected his wife to an onboard breathing machine. He felt its empty weight in his hand.

That was the last time Louann Greene was seen by her husband and two daughters, ages 9 and 13, who also were onboard. After two days of searching, the Coast Guard suspended its efforts late Sunday.

Her death would be at least the seventh in about two weeks of lobster fishing, including three in the past week from the Tampa Bay area.

Family and friends knew Louann Greene, 33, as a girls softball coach, a fireball, "90 pounds of steel.'' She had never fished for lobster. Didn't even eat fish. And she was afraid of sharks.

But on Saturday, she decided to give it a whirl.

• • •

But for a scheduling mixup, the Greenes might not have gone to the Keys. Louann Greene, a champion girls softball coach, was planning to take her daughters to a tournament in Mississippi. The event was postponed.

"She was really tough," said Kathy Saunders, a fellow softball mom and St. Petersburg Times correspondent. "Before girls got used to her, they were kind of taken aback by her."

Greene, who attended Gibbs High School, held after-school practices and made players run laps when they slacked off. She was always coaching softball or cheerleading, her family said.

But she also had a gentle touch. As a medical assistant giving allergy shots in the office of Dr. Mona Mangat, Greene could distract children who were afraid.

"She would say, 'How did that softball game go?' '' Mangat recalled. Before they knew it, she had given them their shots.

• • •

The Greenes had hooked up with several friends Saturday and had hauled in more than 20 lobsters when Louann wanted in on the action.

"She said, 'I want to see it,' " Jamie Greene, 32, recalled. "I said, 'The visibility is not too good.' " He couldn't see more than 5 feet.

They outfitted 90-pound Louann with a weight belt to ease her descent. A "double hookah" breathing machine onboard pumped air through hoses to the two divers.

A little after noon, they entered the water. The husband and wife descended about 20 feet to the sandy bottom. He gave her a thumb's up sign for all is well. Louann returned it.

Moments later, Jamie Greene realized he needed to clear his diving mask. He pointed to the surface.

Again, she acknowledged.

She went up first, and he followed.

"I popped up. I looked around," he said. "I thought, 'Maybe she's on the other side of the boat.' " As he pulled himself aboard, Louann Greene surfaced 50 yards away, calling for help.

Jamie Greene frantically tugged the air hose attached to her weight belt. But instead of pulling his wife toward the boat, the hose broke free.

The boat driver sped to the spot. Jamie Greene dived in but found no sign of his wife. Boats, helicopters and dive teams joined the search.

After 24 hours, all anyone found was a flipper.

Jamie Greene and his children returned to St. Petersburg on Sunday. Friends are still trying to find his wife, he said.

He said he thinks Louann might have taken water into her lungs before she called for help.

"She wanted to do it,'' he said. "She tried it, and it didn't work out."

• • •

Monday morning, cars began pulling into Dr. Mangat's parking lot. Patients there knew Louann, Mangat said. Many had been getting weekly allergy shots from her. She had built relationships with them.

They asked where she was.

"They say, 'We didn't see Lou's car. Is she still on vacation?' " Mangat said.

"Then we have to tell them."

==================================================

Not exactly SCUBA, but related.

Obviously, we don’t (and may never) know exactly what caused this tragedy. It does, however, reinforce the serious nature of diving regardless of the air delivery system used or the depth of the water. I my case, I bought a hookah rig primarily for cleaning the bottom of my boat. After some research, I decided that it would be wise to go through the training and get certified. Now, having completed OW, I can understand why it is so necessary to get the right training if you are going to be under water with compressed air. I bought a double hookah thinking it would be great to use with my wife and kids. It will be after they are certified.

Could there be an invoulentary mansaughter charge coming down the pipe line.

"She wanted to do it,'' he said. "She tried it, and it didn't work out."

Seems odd to me, but maybe that's my inexperience. What would the current have been like in this location? You would think that, absent significant current or a deep sea floor, that locating someone in a scenario like this wouldn't be all that difficult. They went down 20' on a hookah, were within a few feet of each other when the husband signaled the need to surface, and somehow they ended up 50 yards apart after rising 20 feet? The story says he followed her up, so he could probably see how she was ascending, even through a foggy mask. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Then, after getting to where she was maybe a minute behind, they can't locate her at all?

It sounds like she may have had no prior experience. As such, she may have had no concept of bouyancy control. They put a weight belt on her, but did she have any kind of bouyancy vest? Would she have known how to use it, or how to drop her weights? Would she have understood that dropping the weights was the thing to do under the circumstances? At 90 pounds, if they just stuck the weight belt from another diver on her, it probably would have been heavier than appropriate for her size. Consider that her husband, the guy who would seem to know what he's doing, had to surface to clear his mask. Also, expecting the couple to be down 20' below the boat, would the hose even have reached to 50 yards away without already have coming free?

Best I can speculate, based upon the reporting, is that the victim panicked underwater. Reason unknown. Because she was uncertified, unexperienced and presumably uneducated about the dangers of breathing compressed air underwater, she may have rejected her gear and held her breath on the way up. Rejecting her gear would explain how she could surface so far away from the boat and why her husband was tugging on an air line not hooked up to anything. Also, if she held her breath on the way up, she could have had a pneumothorax and had difficulty breathing at the surface. If she didn't drop her weight belt (uncertified, etc.), then she could have easily sank below the waves and not been found in the reported 5' vis.

The distance of separation on the surface seems strange. How does one end up separated by 150' on the surface from your buddy when you started out together and are only 20' deep? Plus, why come to surface to clear your mask, if you are too fogged up, just let a bit of water into it and swish it around. It will re-fog again soon, but you gain vision instantly. Plus people need to learn to ditch their weights when in trouble on the surface and not worry about the lost money to replace the belt or pocket. This tragic article is a good example of why training, skills practice and refresher courses are vital. It's sad to see deaths every year during lobster season, especially since most seem so preventable with basic skills training.

How could she have been 150' feet from the boat? I thought Hooka systems were limited to about 60' of hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom