St Thomas Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was in St. John I went diving and it wasn't too bad, same caribbean fish you'd see anywhere else, parrot fish, stingrays, blue tangs, barracuda, and nice coral. I don't know of any dive operators but I'm sure they have diving at any resort.

Hi,
I dove in St. Thomas last November. It was OK.
There was an old Navy wreck, that was pretty good.
I would say stay away from "St. Thomas Dive Club" as a dive operator.
I was very unhappy with them.
:sunny:

Hmmmm, to the contrary, Nastasha, I had an excellent time with Steve, David, and the rest of the St. Thomas Diving Club crew when we stayed there 2 years ago. Guess the crew could have changed since then though.

It takes a lot for me to post something bad about anyone. I have NEVER done it before.
This was the worst dive operation I have ever seen in my life. First off, they never asked for my C card. Secondly, the crew including the dive masters, never stopped smoking cigarettes on the dive boat the whole trip out and back.
A heavy woman was having a hard time getting down on the first dive. I decided to go up and help her, and let her equalize at her own pace with me just showing her to relax and come up a bit, and so forth, until she could get down. The divemaster swam to me, and underwater " asked me if I was having trouble" when I said no, he pointed for me to leave her, and made her abort the dive. I am not kidding. She didn't get to dive just because he wasn't patient enough to wait for her to come down.
I could go on and on.
I would have to look in my dive log book to see who signed me off to know their names. But I hate to say the ones you named do sound right. They were Americans. Blondes. Big boat. About 22 divers. I will never use them again.

Thanks guys. And not to worry about contradictory posts and opinions! We'll have a lot of time down there next year to look things over and I appreciate your feedback.

DSAO

Tim

If memory serves me right, David is stocky guy in his early 30's with short brown hair and a native of California. Steve was always the captain and never entered the water with us. There was also a husband and wife team, both instructors, but I can't remember their names. Then another lady with a small girl that tended the shop. The owner was away vacationing in Fuji while we were there, didn't meet him. But the whole crew treated us like family and did everything they could to make our dives pleasant. The boat did get kinda crowded in the mornings with snorklers, but we never had more than 12 divers. From what you say, it sounds as though they did treat her a little harsh, but if after a few trys you can't get down, then it's better that you abort the dive vs injurying yourself.

Although, Gulfdiver wants peace and love here, as I do too, it would help to clear this up a bit.
I think we are talking about different operators here.Or indeed they changed a lot over two years. There was not a husband and wife team, there were no women involved that I saw. There were no snorklers on our boat, all divers. I looked in my log book since I have to pack it for my trip to the British Virgin Islands tomorrow morning. The divemaster that singed me off was named Jim B something.
They never collected the waiver they had me sign, in addition to all the other events I described.
I don't think the woman would have injured herself getting down. She just needed someone to care and be patient with her. She didn't have a dive buddy, since her husband didn't dive. The divemaster said he would watch out for her, and didn't pair her with anyone. He told her to just stay with the group. That's why I went up to help her. She was sitting next to me on the boat and so I over heard all of this.
Anyway, the operation could have changed again since November. Who knows? That's why I have never said anything on the boards about them until now. Really I'm sorry I did. Off to the BVI's. Over and out.
:sunny:

I guess it's possible that there are 2 St. Thomas Diving Clubs, I don't know. My wife and I stayed at Bolongo Bay Beach Resort and St. Thomas Diving Club was the "onsite" dive operation. We were there the 2nd week in November 1999. We actually caught the last flight out as hurricane Lenny was coming in. The shop was right beside a great little bar/grill named Iggie's. I believe the owner's name was Bob and that he is an X-Navy Seal, but like I said he was in Fuji at the time. I don't remember a Jim B, though. Maybe this was a branch of St. Thomas Diving Club or something. But I know I have the name right because, I've been there and have the shirt to prove it. LOL :)

I wandered where her buddy was, glad you cleared that up. I agree, he should have been her buddy and allowed her more time if that's all she needed.

Don't be sorry you posted your views, that's what the board is for. I'm always interested in reviews of dive ops, good or bad. In this case, it just happens that you and I had different experiences, that's all. And as it appears, as a result of different DMs. Just goes to show you that one *sshole can ruin your whole experience, as this DM did for that lady. Enjoy your trip to the BVIs. If you see joewr while your there, tell him hi for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom