Standard Cam Bands vs Quick Release Hinge style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phoenix31tt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So i've been looking at getting some quick release hinge style cam bands. I've seen them on scubapro gear before and found they were so much easier to use i wondered why all cam bands are not made this way.

Is there something i'm missing in terms of their performance etc? Should i stick with my standard cam bands or what?

There are pros and cons to both. One main instance is adjustability. With cam bands you slide the BCD over the tank, tug the strap snug and lock the cam. With the release hinge style you need to adjust the length of the strap with velcro, which takes a bit more effort...but once you have it set it's easy to lock the tank in. With that in mind, some prefer cam bands if they go between cylinders with different diameters often.

Personally I find the hinge lock type to be a little easier when swapping tanks on a pitching boat...but that's just me.

So i've been looking at getting some quick release hinge style cam bands. I've seen them on scubapro gear before and found they were so much easier to use i wondered why all cam bands are not made this way.

Is there something i'm missing in terms of their performance etc? Should i stick with my standard cam bands or what?

I started with standard cam bands. Then I got some Highland QR ones and didn't like them at all. Then I got the ones from DGX that you linked. I love them. I have only ever dived with 7.25" tanks, so it's been a set-and-forget deal for me.

---------- Post added October 13th, 2015 at 10:06 PM ----------

Now that it has been mentioned, if I were ever going to dive with an 8" tank, I could see using a non-black Sharpie or some other means to mark the "fold" in the QR strap where I have it for 7.25" tanks, then adjust it for an 8" and mark that, too, so it would make it really easy, after that, to go back and forth between tank sizes.

I have a difference experience. I started with regular cam band, tried quick release types for a while, both the highland and the Scubapro type, didn't like them. Now back to regular cambands. What I found is if you put weight pockets on cambands, the regular cambands are much easier overall.

I use the hinge-type on my singles rig. I've had no problems adding weights, but I rarely need any, and when I do it's minimal. Sue also has hinge type, but Kim uses the camband style. There's no strong argument either way, so far as I know.

I stated with the standard issue cam band buckle on my Sherwood Avid. I had no issue with them. The key is to get them to engage with a good pop when they cam over. This can require varying degrees of wet strap, strap break-in, leverage and strength to apply some pre-load before closure. My wife never got the hang of applying the requisite tug for a pr-eload and struggled with the standard buckle. I switched her to this bail style and became her hero. I subsequently used the same when I built up my plate & wing rigs.

Cylinder size switches are not transparent with the bail type. When I got it set right for a given cylinder diameter I used a silver Sharpie to mark the black band when it aligned with ring ir wraps back around. That made subsequent changes a piece of cake.

There are also concerns that some of the bail style buckles such as the model I am using are more prone to snagging a line in the water and being entangled or inadvertently released.

Pete

That is the same type that the OP linked to. Except they are $20 from DGX, instead of $35 from ST.

---------- Post added October 14th, 2015 at 07:51 AM ----------

I have a difference experience. I started with regular cam band, tried quick release types for a while, both the highland and the Scubapro type, didn't like them. Now back to regular cambands. What I found is if you put weight pockets on cambands, the regular cambands are much easier overall.

I have trim weight pockets for mine. For me, they don't change, in any way, how much easier I find the DGX QR straps to use as compared to regular cam bands.

I use a trim pocket on one of my bands, i think i will get the straps that i posted as they are fairly cheap, may get them for my wife first as she doesn't use trips on the tank...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom