Standard MOD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about 12/70? If you include that, were at 7 markings.

My 5 markings example covers all bases for GUE standard gasses, and is in clear 50ft increments.

Its max operating depth, operating being key work. A dip to 220 is one thing on 18/45, but staying there and doing a dive at that depth with that gas is ill advised, imo. With deco gases, their whole point is that they are used at a higher ppo2, so its marked according to its intended purpose.

I think the "how do you know if its a deco or a stage" if there are multiple teams on the boat with some doing a dive where "one man's stage is another man's deco" was answered a while back...

PUT YOUR NAME (initials or whatnot) ON YOUR TANK!

along with your MOD.

:wink:

then you look at the tank, know its yours or not yours, your buddy knows its yours or not yours, very very easily. If you and your buddy planned your dive, and confirmed that the tanks you clip off are indeed yours at your 10' bubble check on the way down, and again before you breath them, then the stage vs. deco argument just isn't there.

this also makes it easy for the videographer to identify you when everyone looks the same :wink:

PUT YOUR NAME (initials or whatnot) ON YOUR TANK!

That works great, right up until you need to borrow a deco bottle . . .

What about 12/70? If you include that, were at 7 markings.

My 5 markings example covers all bases for GUE standard gasses, and is in clear 50ft increments.

Its max operating depth, operating being key work. A dip to 220 is one thing on 18/45, but staying there and doing a dive at that depth with that gas is ill advised, imo. With deco gases, their whole point is that they are used at a higher ppo2, so its marked according to its intended purpose.

Its too effing cold here for 12/xx, 10/xx, 8/xx OC trimixes!! Well it is for me and I only know one guy around here still doing OC dives in that range and he's not DIR. So honestly its not relevant to Puget Sound diving.

Marked with intended purpose is fine. I don't need to be reminded to avoid using 21/35 at 180ft for an entire dive, I'll actually use it as bottom mix in the 130-165ft range. A 150ft MOD would preclude that, likewise a 210ft dip on 18/45 would be a no no if it were marked 200. You've marked them with a good deepest average. I mark them with a maximum. Like I said before, I'll only dive 32% for an entire dive to its marked MOD, mostly because I rarely have a need to dip to 112ft on 32% so its easy to mark "100".

I have found "21/35 wrecks" at 160ft and "18/45 wrecks" at 205ft and I'm not remarking or going home when that happens cause I brought the wrong mix.

Its too effing cold here for 12/xx, 10/xx, 8/xx OC trimixes!! Well it is for me and I only know one guy around here still doing OC dives in that range and he's not DIR. So honestly its not relevant to Puget Sound diving.

Marked with intended purpose is fine. I don't need to be reminded to avoid using 21/35 at 180ft for an entire dive, I'll actually use it as bottom mix in the 130-165ft range. A 150ft MOD would preclude that, likewise a 210ft dip on 18/45 would be a no no if it were marked 200. You've marked them with a good deepest average. I mark them with a maximum. Like I said before, I'll only dive 32% for an entire dive to its marked MOD, mostly because I rarely have a need to dip to 112ft on 32% so its easy to mark "100".

I have found "21/35 wrecks" at 160ft and "18/45 wrecks" at 205ft and I'm not remarking or going home when that happens cause I brought the wrong mix.

Well... if you aren't marking them to UTD standards (which would be blank), and you aren't marking them to GUE standards.... who's standards are you marking them to and is it really DIR?? :D
:popcorn:

Well... if you aren't marking them to UTD standards (which would be blank), and you aren't marking them to GUE standards.... who's standards are you marking them to and is it really DIR?? :D
:popcorn:

Same question could be asked about breathing a bottle marked with a deep average at its maximum. I mark my 21/35 stage "160" (i.e. AverageOD) but will breathe it deeper. DIR? I dunno.

I think that, by and large, if you and your team embrace the general framework of DIR, little things like what MOD you mark on stage bottles (or if you mark them at all) is hardly significant. As a team, decide what you are going to do. If it makes sense to mark them a certain way such that the team knows what everyone is breathing and understands the functional limiting parameters of the dive, do so.

Same question could be asked about breathing a bottle marked with a deep average at its maximum. I mark my 21/35 stage "160" (i.e. AverageOD) but will breathe it deeper. DIR? I dunno.

I think that, by and large, if you and your team embrace the general framework of DIR, little things like what MOD you mark on stage bottles hardly significant.

and totally irrelevant to the topic.
the point is MARK THEM. not doing it is silly

I am only going to make this one post in this thread.

MOD stands for "Maximum Operating Depth". It does not stand for average depth, user depth, or 1.2po depth.

If you are labeling a tank with a MOD, then use the appropriate depth (meaning 1.6po). I know that we all think of our tanks as being ours, but when on the dive there may very well be others that end up needing our gas too.

I dive a rebreather and do not use OC gases for anything other than bailout in the event of a failure. My tanks all have a MOD (in 3 seperate places) for other divers to be able to make damn sure of the breathability of the mix during the dive.

You do not have to switch to a stage at a depth that will be a 1.6po. Switch to it at whatever depth/PO2 you are comfortable with. I don't always switch to my 80% when I reach 30', I wait till at 20'.

Just my thoughts and they are worth exactly what you paid for them. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom