Standard MOD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

His point holds water that, for example, a bottle marked "190" is ambiguous. Is it a 18/45 stage bottle or a 21/35 deco bottle? You don't know without reading the mix contents, and could still get the wrong bottle handed to you on a charter.

That said, I keep mine labeled.

not sure what kind of boat dive would require both versions of the 190 bottle :p

not sure what kind of boat dive would require both versions of the 190 bottle :p

On something deep like the oil rig Eureka (which bottoms out at about 750 I think), you could easily have one team doing 350 foot dives, another doing 200 foot dives, another doing 150, another doing 100, etc..

Logistically, you'd splash the deepest team first (longest runtime). Wouldn't be too hard to give the 350 team 18/45 (which admittedly probably wouldn't be too bad - 190' deco is way deeper than my qualifications, but as I sit on my armchair, I doubt I'd adjust my schedule for it) and then give the 200 team 21/35 for their bottom stages.

Last time I was out there, Rainer and I were doing 150-160, and Limey was doing something substantially deeper (though I think their deepest deco gas was 120).

I have yet to do a dive big enough that I need a Richardson bottle :)P), nor do I often deco off 80s.

I have yet to do a dive big enough that I need a Richardson bottle :)P), nor do I often deco off 80s.

I think the vast majority of these issues would come up on a cave dive where one is likely to stage bottles, and multiple bottom gases may be used, and you may had a need to take a bottle past its MOD in some cases if the cave seesaws up & down a lot.

For ocean diving it's somewhat easier for the case of a single dive, but with multiple dives over different days, it's definitely conceivable that bottles will get mixed up (on our next trip, we will have stages of 12/65, 18/45 and some 15/55 for different dives although our deepest deco will still be 120 bottle which even if it did have 30/30 in it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world :wink:

i will label the stages but just with blue painters tape "Dive 1, dive 2, dive 3" or "day 1, day 2, day 3" Deco bottles will also have blue-tape just so I can organize them + standard MOD stickers

when I get on RJacks RIB for a 200 ft dive followed by a dive on a stage of 32% then we put pretty obvious 3" MOD labels on the bottom stages as it's pretty easy to grab the wrong bottom stage in that case.

One obvious solution for a cave, and probably works in many cases is just to mandate stages with MOD the deepest you expect to encounter.

However, that then doesnt work so great for cases like The Pit (Traverse) in mexico or teh Blue abyss which have 10,000 feet of cave 20-40 feet deep before both plunging down to 200+

in those cases marking the 32% stages with 100 probably isn't the worst idea in the world :)

On something deep like the oil rig Eureka (which bottoms out at about 750 I think), you could easily have one team doing 350 foot dives, another doing 200 foot dives, another doing 150, another doing 100, etc..

Logistically, you'd splash the deepest team first (longest runtime). Wouldn't be too hard to give the 350 team 18/45 (which admittedly probably wouldn't be too bad - 190' deco is way deeper than my qualifications, but as I sit on my armchair, I doubt I'd adjust my schedule for it) and then give the 200 team 21/35 for their bottom stages.

Last time I was out there, Rainer and I were doing 150-160, and Limey was doing something substantially deeper (though I think their deepest deco gas was 120).

And not labelling them somehow fixes these issues????

You still need to analyze the gas
You still need to check that you are getting the proper bottles
For an ocean dive MOD is just an additional sanity check that the tank monkey and your buddy can perform as you're gearing up.

You'd be nuts to drop stages in a cave without MODs on them. You're nuts to dive in with unmarked bottom stages anyway but more nuts in a cave where you're bottles might not even be on you.

Deco:
20, 70, 120, 190

Bottom:
100, 150, 200, 250, 300

However, a bottle with 18/45 or 21/35 isn't really a killer either way.

:eek:fftopic: Even though I'm not completely up to speed on what you guys are talking about, I've learned so much by reading threads like these. Thanks :D Back to topic!

Bottom:
100, 150, 200, 250, 300

Bottom:
100, 120, 150, 190, 220, 270

EAN32, 30/30, 25/25, 21/35, 18/45, 15/55. I never got the memo on the 30/30 schenanagins, nor freak out when my 21/35 wreck is at 160ft.

So there. Maximum does not = "average" operating depth or whatnot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom