Standard MOD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and totally irrelevant to the topic.

You jumped past my edit.

"(or if you mark them at all) ... As a team, decide what you are going to do. If it makes sense to mark them a certain way such that the team knows what everyone is breathing and understands the functional limiting parameters of the dive, do so."

the point is MARK THEM.

Agreed. I believe that marking all bottles is rock solid and appropriate. I could be convinced to rotate the "6" on my 21/35 bottle around (i.e. MOD of 1.4 instead of 1.2), but will not mark it 220 as suggested by Dsix36. No one with whom I dive treats 1.6 as anything but shallow deco. If they're using my bottle without knowing what's in it, that's on them, and it's up to them whether or not to proceed that extra 30 feet.

Its too effing cold here for 12/xx, 10/xx, 8/xx OC trimixes!! Well it is for me and I only know one guy around here still doing OC dives in that range and he's not DIR. So honestly its not relevant to Puget Sound diving.

SCRET is still diving wrecks using 10/70.

I am only going to make this one post in this thread.

MOD stands for "Maximum Operating Depth". It does not stand for average depth, user depth, or 1.2po depth.

If you are labeling a tank with a MOD, then use the appropriate depth (meaning 1.6po). I know that we all think of our tanks as being ours, but when on the dive there may very well be others that end up needing our gas too.

I dive a rebreather and do not use OC gases for anything other than bailout in the event of a failure. My tanks all have a MOD (in 3 seperate places) for other divers to be able to make damn sure of the breathability of the mix during the dive.

You do not have to switch to a stage at a depth that will be a 1.6po. Switch to it at whatever depth/PO2 you are comfortable with. I don't always switch to my 80% when I reach 30', I wait till at 20'.

Just my thoughts and they are worth exactly what you paid for them. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

A voice of sanity in the wilderness! :D

MOD = 1.6 The End.

I am only going to make this one post in this thread.

MOD stands for "Maximum Operating Depth". It does not stand for average depth, user depth, or 1.2po depth.

If you are labeling a tank with a MOD, then use the appropriate depth (meaning 1.6po). I know that we all think of our tanks as being ours, but when on the dive there may very well be others that end up needing our gas too.

I dive a rebreather and do not use OC gases for anything other than bailout in the event of a failure. My tanks all have a MOD (in 3 seperate places) for other divers to be able to make damn sure of the breathability of the mix during the dive.

You do not have to switch to a stage at a depth that will be a 1.6po. Switch to it at whatever depth/PO2 you are comfortable with. I don't always switch to my 80% when I reach 30', I wait till at 20'.

Just my thoughts and they are worth exactly what you paid for them. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I think you're lost.
you must be looking for this forum

Its too effing cold here for 12/xx, 10/xx, 8/xx OC trimixes!! Well it is for me and I only know one guy around here still doing OC dives in that range and he's not DIR. So honestly its not relevant to Puget Sound DIR diving.

Fixed it for ya ... I know more than one OC diver who still dives in this range ... they're just off your radar because they're not DIR.

... so are a handful of old farts from places like Bremerton, Port Angeles, and Hood Canal ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The website is outa date if they are still diving in this range

There are only a couple Puget Sound/San Juans/WA wrecks in the sub15/55 range anyway:
Sampson
Multnomah
bow of Bunker Hill
stern of Bunker Hill

Although I guess this depends on what you consider the range of 15/55 to be. I don't think I've missed any and if there was a new find below ~260fsw on OC I'm pretty confident it would have been written up.

Well... if you aren't marking them to UTD standards (which would be blank), and you aren't marking them to GUE standards.... who's standards are you marking them to and is it really DIR?? :D
:popcorn:

You'll find my MODs compote well with those shown in the UTD standards. Several of my bottles even have GUE MOD stickers on them :wink:

I think the "how do you know if its a deco or a stage" if there are multiple teams on the boat with some doing a dive where "one man's stage is another man's deco" was answered a while back...

PUT YOUR NAME (initials or whatnot) ON YOUR TANK!

along with your MOD.

:wink:
then the stage vs. deco argument just isn't there.

Except if you need a stage in the150-160 range and a 190 deco bottle

the 190 is 21/35

The 150-160 stage would by default be 21/35

Now you have the same gas with 2 different MOD stickers and 2 purposes.

Also the stage could have 18/45 in it to reduce PPO2 for a longer dive

so now your stage is marked 190 or 200 ? and your deco bottle is marked also 190 or 200 ? or something ?

sure, decoing at 190 on 18/45 instead of 21/35 probably makes natch-all difference unless you are doing huge projects

the "it's mine or not" is irrelevant since in DIR we all use the same scheme for marking stuff. (Or at least we all thought/hoped/assumed we did before this thread took a U-turn across the cabbage patch a few pages ago :)

but 1.6 is not what GUE *OR* UTD does (for bottom stages, or deeper deco gases which both have lower limits)

Oops,sorry. Did not notice I was in the DIR forum.

1.6 makes life easy though. Doesn't mean I HAVE to breathe it at the stated depth.

Anyway,dont belong here, so will say goodbye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom