Standards to be able to teach... Intro to Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So as a TDI instructor, with Advanced NitrOx and Deco Procedures, what do I have to do to get "upgraded"

Hello NetDoc,

PADI was offering a free crossover for technical instructors from other agencies in DEMA. I dont know if the x over option is still open... if not: $$ but no other requisites.

How do you find the new tec rec??

Cheers,

Jorge

So as a TDI instructor, with Advanced NitrOx and Deco Procedures, what do I have to do to get "upgraded"

Hey Pete: good question and one that we are hearing a lot since we made some changes to standards in the third quarter of last year.

Let's start with your case: an active Deco Procedures and Advanced Nitrox instructor. With that background, you are eligible for the "upgrade" since you meet all the perquisites to teach intro-to-tech. You simply have to complete an instructor upgrade form (you'll find it in the back of your instructor manual or you can login to the members area of our website, navigate to the TDI Forms screen and download it from there).

As with ALL TDI and SDI leadership applications, the training department will process the "paperwork" and you will be ready to teach. There is a pretty comprehensive instructor guide and good student materials for the program and I'd suggest ordering those when you put in your app.

One quick note about the amendment we made concerning SDI instructors who qualify to teach intro-to-tech. It bears some explanation.

There are two procedures: First is for an active SDI instructor to enroll in an instructor development course with an IT who is certified to teach intro-to-tech instructor programs. If you like, this is the classic entry into teaching tech for an experienced sport-diving instructor.

The second procedure is that an active SDI instructor who holds DIVER ratings in and has experience with Deco Procedures and Advanced Nitrox or higher, can apply for an administrative upgrade. The upgrade for this is reviewed by training department and is subject to scrutiny and approval.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom