Stapedotomy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My sister and father have both had this operation for both ears. While they are not divers my sister finds it near impossible now to equalise beyond 2-3m deep in a pool, and finds even more gradual changes in pressure (e.g. driving to altitude) uncomfortable.

Their doctor advised against SCUBA diving, bungee jumping, sky diving, flying with a cold and even avoiding head knocks. This was to avoid any dislodgement to the insert to replace the stapes, or damage to the ear drums. They were told that if dislodged then the insert could not be replaced resulting in permanent conductive hearing loss. The only option left would then be a cochlear implant.

I believe that for a dive medical here in Oz, a stapedotomy would result in failing the medical.

I have looked into this issue and the experts in this area are not in agreement on diving after stapes surgery. DAN's position is indicative of this---> http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=115

I am not aware of any research on scuba post-stapedotomy (partial removal of the stapes). There is, however, at least one study on stapedectomy (total removal of the stapes), a more extensive and potentialy damaging procedure. It is reported in "Diving after stapedectomy: clinical experience and recommendations." Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2001;125(4):356-40. House JW, Toh EH, Perez A. The article abstract reads as follows:

"Diving after stapedectomy

Stapedectomy is a relatively common operation performed for sensorineural deafness related to otosclerosis. The first operation was performed in 1960 and a recent small survey of 22 SCUBA divers following stapedectomy found that four had experienced symptoms during diving including otalgia (3), tinnitus (1) and transient vertigo (1). One patient developed a sudden onset sensorineural hearing loss with vertigo, and this was found to related to a perilymph fistula. No symptoms of labyrinthine injury were reported by the divers suggesting a low incidence of inner ear barotrauma. The authors concluded that SCUBA diving did not appear to increase the risk of inner ear barotrauma provided that adequate Eustachian tube function had been confirmed by clinical examination following surgery."

You will want to discuss the matter with your physicians(s).

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Now I know that I am unique. 9-10 days after my surgery I caught a cold & slipped into a very special group of people (2%)who get "sudden hearing" loss. My surgery was in 1996, at which point I stopped all diving. In 1999 took up snorkeling again & was free diving approx 30ft. In 2001 I went to the house clinic to get a final say on weather or not I could dive again since I was deaf anyway. They were not the least concern about the ear in which I had the surgery but in my other ear, ie ear drum damage. I have been diving since Jan of this year 30-90ft without any problems. I am very aware of my asents & desents in all of my years of diving I never once had a ear or sinus problem. I was certified in Newfoundland Ca. in 1979.

I had a stapedectomy in 2003 and dove 100+ since 2004. Consult with you ENT Dr. ask his opinion. The safest thing is get the hearing aid instead of the surgery. I dive with the same buddy, we are both aware of the possibility of flooding my inner ear and suffering vertigo. I would say that I'm a very cautious, decents are slow and steady any issues clearing and the dive is over. I haven't had to call any dives because of ear issues, dry suit leaks is another story.

*I'm not a Dr. and have no business saying that it's ok to dive after a stapedectomy.

Stay Wet!!

Hi jdurye,

The last post in the thread to which you have responded is now nearly 3 years dated (08-03-03). As such, you may wish to PM the interested parties with this info.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom