Starting Classes Tomorrow - Advice Needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Nasser! I think by the time my OW dives are done, I will have a much better idea of what I can do and how to work with my ears. Perhaps it won't end up being a limitation at all. Will other not want to dive with me because I am newly certified?

This is a good question. For me, I have no issue diving with new divers on shore dives or relatively shallow boat dives around here. If I'm on vacation or its a deeper or more challenging dive, I will usually pass on diving with a newly certified instabuddy.

There are plenty of people around here that have no problem diving with new divers so it's pretty easy to build up some experience. The shop you're training with also runs shore dives pretty regularly and that's a great way to meet some local divers and gain experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad RJP posted, because my first reaction was, "You got what people say is the most valuable thing in a class!"

As far as your ears go, how deep is the part of the pool where you are swimming? The proportional pressure changes are the greatest in shallow water -- if you are even getting to six feet or so with your ears cooperating, it's extremely unlikely you are going to have problems with them in the deep end.

This story does show the value of CAs. In our classes, if someone needs individual attention, they may well be sent off to a corner with a CA to work on the skill until it's improving. (My job in our classes is to work with the people who have airway control issues and problems with mask skills.) Or, if the problem is severe, the instructor may work with that student, and the other students will swim around with the CAs coaching them and requesting that they practice the skills they've already done with the instructor. High staff to student ratios are one of the best things about high quality scuba classes.

Thanks, Nasser! I think by the time my OW dives are done, I will have a much better idea of what I can do and how to work with my ears. Perhaps it won't end up being a limitation at all. Will other not want to dive with me because I am newly certified?

There are some people that won't dive with new divers ever. There are some that will dive with new divers depending on the dive. And there are those that will dive with new divers anywhere/anytime. Of the ones that won't dive with new divers, there are those that won't do it just because they think they are better then that. And those that do not feel comfortable themselves with a new diver in certain conditions.

Which ever you meet that refuse to dive with you, don't take it personal. It's rarely about you as an individual.

I, however, will dive with anyone/anywhere/anytime. I like to learn new things from more advanced divers, and I like to impart my knowledge on less experienced divers. There is currently only one person that I will not dive with. I've tried with this person a half dozen times and they do not listen. The last straw was when this person put my safety in jeopardy.

One additional note about Nitrox class. If you think you might EVER, down the road, want to get certified for decompression diving, one of the prerequisites will be the Technical Nitrox class (e.g. TDI Nitrox - versus the Recreational Nitrox class, e.g. SDI Computer Nitrox or whatever PADI calls it - Enriched Air/Nitrox?).

Just to clear this one up...

It is not true for either of the agencies for which I am a technical instructor, and that includes TDI.

Reactions: RJP
There are plenty of people around here that have no problem diving with new divers so it's pretty easy to build up some experience. The shop you're training with also runs shore dives pretty regularly and that's a great way to meet some local divers and gain experience.

Yes, it really seems like they have awesome programs for all kinds of dives both locally and in other destinations. I will certainly be going on a few New England shore dives after I finish my certification with my dive center (as long as I can afford it, haha). Any opportunity to get in water during the summer I will take! :)

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2015 at 03:48 PM ----------

I'm glad RJP posted, because my first reaction was, "You got what people say is the most valuable thing in a class!"

As far as your ears go, how deep is the part of the pool where you are swimming? The proportional pressure changes are the greatest in shallow water -- if you are even getting to six feet or so with your ears cooperating, it's extremely unlikely you are going to have problems with them in the deep end.

Thanks, that is very encouraging!

I haven't really had any issues so far and the shallow end of the pool ranges from 6 to 4 feet, I believe. I swam back and forth several times yesterday, trying to stay just above/parallel to the bottom of the pool with no problems. I only got down 8 feet on the free dive without pain during the first session, but I understand that you go down much faster and have less time to continue to equalize with only one breath. I think if I'd tried it a few more times, I could have gotten all the way down (15ft) without trouble :) I went on a snorkel charter in January off of St. Thomas and we were all diving down to see sea turtles, and my fiancé (who was watching from above) said I was getting within a few feet of the bottom, which I'm guess was about 20 feet or so. Also no troubles there, so far so good! Looking forward to getting into the deep end this weekend!

You guys are all so right about the swim time, I was being silly! It was great!

You're welcome Olivia!

You may run into some divers that would rather not dive with newly certified divers but as azmodan50 said, it could be for any number of reasons so don't take it personally. What you can do though is ask the dive center what kind of dives and sites they're visiting and what the dive profiles are like. Are there dives suitable for beginners? Are there any currents or other challenging aspects to the dives that may affect your comfort level? Some centers will run specific trips for different levels of divers and it's good to know that ahead of time. You can ask what would be suitable for your level of experience and then choose accordingly.

The key is to always communicate... with the dive center, the DM, and your buddy. This way it may be less likely that you'll be on a boat or at a site that's beyond your current level of experience. Most of all remember that you're doing this to have fun... so take it gradually and in time things will start gel and fall into place. We all started from the beginning and have all had our fair share of ups and downs... comes with the territory, but I can safely say that the rewards far exceed any anxieties or downers you'll undoubtedly experience throughout your diving... it's really an amazing thing this diving stuff. :goingdown:

Since the topic has arisen, I've asked this question before-- If you're going on a (tropical?) week long dive vacation and you are one who doesn't want to dive with new divers, are you usually able to get the dive op to confirm (by e mail, etc.) that this won't happen--before you book that expensive trip? Or, even a local charter-- I'm lucky enough just to get a boat to go out at all on the N. Gulf of Mex. in winter and therefore am not at all choosy about instabuddies, but that's just me.

Since the topic has arisen, I've asked this question before-- If you're going on a (tropical?) week long dive vacation and you are one who doesn't want to dive with new divers, are you usually able to get the dive op to confirm (by e mail, etc.) that this won't happen--before you book that expensive trip? Or, even a local charter-- I'm lucky enough just to get a boat to go out at all on the N. Gulf of Mex. in winter and therefore am not at all choosy about instabuddies, but that's just me.

You have to ask a lot of questions. If you are careful, you can do really well. One thing you can do is go to the ScubaBoard regional forums and do a search for the area you are interested in. You will find that over the years a lot of people have asked the questions you want to ask. If you read the recommendations for dive operators carefully and take note of who is recommending what, you can get a pretty good idea. then you can ask a more refined question on your own.

But you can get fooled. I was once thoroughly convinced that I was going to get great, advanced level dives with an operator in Cozumel, but one day we spent the entire day with the DM quite literally holding the hand of one of the divers while we did the most basic and benign dives I have done in years.

Just to clear this one up...

It is not true for either of the agencies for which I am a technical instructor, and that includes TDI.

Well, sonuvagun! My apologies! I had looked at the "flow chart" here:

https://www.tdisdi.com/tdi/get-certified/tdi-diver-level-courses/

and thought that it meant that Nitrox and Adv Nitrox were prereqs for Deco. But, I just read the standards for Deco and now see that the only prereqs are Advanced Open Water (aka Advanced Adventure Diver) and 25 logged dives. Interesting, actually, that you could take Deco with so little prior training and experience.

Thanks for setting me straight, boulderjohn.

Well, sonuvagun! My apologies! I had looked at the "flow chart" here:

https://www.tdisdi.com/tdi/get-certified/tdi-diver-level-courses/

and thought that it meant that Nitrox and Adv Nitrox were prereqs for Deco. But, I just read the standards for Deco and now see that the only prereqs are Advanced Open Water (aka Advanced Adventure Diver) and 25 logged dives. Interesting, actually, that you could take Deco with so little prior training and experience.

Thanks for setting me straight, boulderjohn.

"Seek first to understand... then, to be understood."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom